FORUMS: list search recent posts

De-interlacing 1080i50 video for tv broadcast?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
will johnston
De-interlacing 1080i50 video for tv broadcast?
on Jan 12, 2012 at 4:08:58 pm

I have a question about the interlacing for the video gurus out there...

We produce a program for television, filming on HDV cameras at 1080i50, with our masters saved as HDV or Apple intermediate files.

the content is also available on the web. we recently noticed that using the de-interlace filter in FCP before exporting results in material which encodes much better for the web (specifically it cuts out the horizontal-line interlace effect from the videos once they are encoded for web streaming). for some reason de-interlacing in FCP works really well, while doing it in the web export process using quicktime pro has little or no effect.

Therefore, we are considering to start de-interlacing the master exports which are used for both television and web. My question is whether there is any downside to de-interlacing video which is originally shot as interlaced 1080i50, when that material is going to be broadcast on television?

much thanks for the advice!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: De-interlacing 1080i50 video for tv broadcast?
on Jan 12, 2012 at 4:45:20 pm

Here's a crucial question: the footage may be 1080i, but was it shot progressive scan?

It's possible to do so; footage shot as 25p would still be 1080i. In Progressive scan, the complete frame, captured at ONE moment in time, would be stored as two fields (aka Progressive Segmented Frame or psf). In interlaced scan, the camera scans the first field, records it, scans the second field and records it: TWO different moments in time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

will johnston
on Jan 12, 2012 at 4:56:06 pm

hello Dave. the cameras are sony z1's, so they do not shoot progressive scan. So does that make the answer more clear? (if so i'd love to know :)

thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 12, 2012 at 5:02:30 pm

Personally, I'd leave it interlaced for broadcast. Since the web in progressive only, I'd make a progressive version for the web. You'd preserve the smoother motion inherent in interlaced scan that way.

That's just one guy's opinion, however. I'm sure there will be others forthcoming.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 12, 2012 at 5:25:16 pm

Mine too! Broadcast is either 1080i or 720p50/60 so seems like you'd want to edit 1080i native, and if you have to make something for the web, then deinterlace with compressor. The deinterlace filter in FCP is simply a line doubler, which means resolution killer.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 13, 2012 at 10:27:26 pm

I too would leave the broadcast master as 50i. From the 50i version, make your web quicktimes in Compressor and use the deinterlace function in frame controls. This will do a a nice deinterlace without killing resolution like the FCP deinterlace filter does.

An alternate approach is to use JES fields kit to deinterlace or Nattress deinterlace filters within FCP but do it to a copy of the final sequence.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]