FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flanders Scientific Monitor and FCP7 issue: am I properly calibrated because brightness not matching

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Natteau
Flanders Scientific Monitor and FCP7 issue: am I properly calibrated because brightness not matching
on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:19:45 pm

I'm working in Final Cut Pro 7 in a 1080p24 Apple Pro Pres project.

My Flanders Scientific monitor, although set to factory default, is showing a noticeably darker picture than what I'm seeing on my Apple Cinema screen.

After laying down bars and tone, I know that for the monitor to be properly calibrated, you need to be able to slightly distinguish a lighter bar of dark grey in the lower right hand corner than the surrounding black area. It is on my apple monitor but not on my LM-1770W broadcast monitor.

After speaking to FS tech support, they told me to press F5 on the monitor and look at the numbers. But when I scroll the cursor horizontally the "B" (RGB) number doesn't change.

So is this normal? Why am I not seeing that lighter shade of black/grey on my broadcast monitor like I am in my FCP7 canvas window? And which one should I trust?

I have no idea if what I'm seeing is accurate.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Flanders Scientific Monitor and FCP7 issue: am I properly calibrated because brightness not matching
on Jan 12, 2012 at 4:20:08 pm

They won't match. The Canvas is NOT accurate by any means. This is why you have the external monitor. If they matched, why would you need the FSI?

The canvas is there so you can see what you are doing. The FSI is what is color accurate.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
Re: Flanders Scientific Monitor and FCP7 issue: am I properly calibrated because brightness not matching
on Jan 12, 2012 at 4:49:08 pm

Two things:

1. Turn the brightness knob on the monitor clockwise and see if as you increase the brightness the pluge bar shows up. If it is not there at all (which turning the brightness up would reveal) then you have an issue with your source. Press down on the brightness rotary knob to set it back to default.

2. The peak white luminance level on a broadcast monitor is typically much, much darker than a computer display. The broadcast standard peak white luminance and how a computer monitor are setup are worlds apart (one is meant to be used in darker edit suite, the other in brighter office environments competing with ambient light).

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]