FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drobo....and final cut pro 7 projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Oliver
Drobo....and final cut pro 7 projects
on Jan 11, 2012 at 10:14:59 pm

Hi all,

I just inherited a new system with a 4 bay drobo with 4, 2 tb drives.

PLENTY of storage to get started. here is my connundrum.

The previous post facility handed me a bunch of drives with projects on them. In order to relink properly, I want to partition the drive into "mini" drives so that the structure stays in tact.

Ideas? Each of these projects are around 500GB each.....I have heard that disk utility is horrible to use with a drobo.....

ANy input or help would be great.

-Ben

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: Drobo....and final cut pro 7 projects
on Jan 11, 2012 at 11:01:37 pm

Why limit yourself by partitioning? It would be annoying to start a project with 500gb and need another 20gb to finish, requiring you to change your partition mapping. Also, you may have 10gb free on this partition, 60gb free on this partition, and not have enough space to start another project because it's tied up in free space scattered over several partitions that you can't access.

I would set the Drobo up with one partition and one scratch folder. Within your Render Files/Capture Scratch Final Cut automatically makes a folder for each project. Things will be pretty organised this way, and moving a project is as simple as using the Media Manager tool.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jan 11, 2012 at 11:41:07 pm

One of my clients uses Drobos for backups. I've only copied media between one that was already formatted and my editing raid (haven't done any formatting or maintenance myself) but I'm told that Drobo have their own formatting utility (which is very good) and you shouldn't ever use disk utility with them.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 12, 2012 at 12:19:25 am

Use specific folders to store media, not partitioning. Drobo drives in my experience are better suited to backups not as media drives but my experience with them was a few years ago now and I believe they have drives that are designed for media bandwidth but as mentioned, they have their own specific formatting and you may cause a world of pain if you try to partition.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]