FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering Issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Murphy
Rendering Issues
on Jan 11, 2012 at 5:51:25 pm

So in a nutshell i am working on a FCP project off 2 different Macs... one Mac Quad Core and one is an older Macbook Pro. when I copy the entire project folder to an external drive and bring it to the Macbook Pro, everything that was rendered on the Mac Pro needs to be re-rendered and takes forever.

Other then the Macbook Pro being a little older, what else could cause me to re-render the sequences and why such a painfully slow render time?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Rendering Issues
on Jan 11, 2012 at 6:06:23 pm

Does this external hard drive also contain the render files in a location that is absolutely the same file path for both machines?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim Murphy
on Jan 11, 2012 at 6:12:12 pm

I would have to check... in the System settings all is set to read/write at the specific folder the project is in, however I would have to check to see where FCP is actually putting the render files.

If it is writing the render files to a different location, can I copy that Render folder to the external hard drive and reconnect if needed?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 11, 2012 at 6:28:46 pm

You would have to place the render files in the corresponding folder on the second machine. If they're not in the precise location FCP expects to see, there's no joy.

And I'm about 95% sure FCP doesn't allow you to reconnect render files as you can with media files.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jim Murphy
on Jan 11, 2012 at 6:34:13 pm

ok. what if I change the location of the Render Folder in the settings to write them to a folder on the external drive... will that then remedy the re-rendering on the second machine so long as the second machine is set the same way (to look for the render folder on the external drive)? Obviously i would have to initially re render the sequences but after that the second machine should not need to render again. Is this correct?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 11, 2012 at 7:31:45 pm

Should be, but don't forget to write down -- and double-check -- the current file path to avoid messing things up for the next person. If FCP looks for a drive that's no longer there, it's a big pain.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: ndering Issues
on Jan 11, 2012 at 8:17:42 pm

And doesn't the new drive also have be named the exact same as the old one?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]