FORUMS: list search recent posts

New MacPro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam taylor
New MacPro?
on Jan 11, 2012 at 4:12:54 pm

aside from the usual "wait to see whats just around the corner" advice regarding new Macs, how foolish would it be to consider getting a new 12 core mac with the intention of running FCP7 ?

I am not intending to use FCPX in any way, so that is not a consideration.
thanks
Adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: New MacPro?
on Jan 11, 2012 at 4:27:18 pm

I'd advise that you buy a machine with specs that will handle both Avid and Premiere as well, because there will come a time in the next year or so when your clients have all headed for the hills and abandoned FCP completely. So, get a good Nvidia card that's qualified for the two other A's, as it will certainly work for legacy FCP in the interim.

However, the other side of the argument is to wait to see if a T-Bolt enabled MacPro is coming out soon.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Jan 11, 2012 at 7:03:58 pm

Hi Adam,

As far as "it's just around the corner" goes, that corner may be a few months away. With Intel presently rolling out its LGA2011-based upmarket CPUs, the new Xeon E5's are reported to be two to three months from launch still. It makes sense for Apple to wait for the new platform, considering the quite major architecture upgrade. If Apple design the MacPro to the full potential of the platform, it could be quite a big step up from the current models but with the quad-channel memory setup, steady high-density memory prices and Apple's insistence on cramming two super-expensive CPUs inside every box, the prices will probably be going up as well. Early benchmarks of the platform suggest the most worthwhile gains in heavily threaded workstation applications, which is not really FCP7's case. Not that much sense waiting around, then. I personally don't think Thunderbolt is any reason to wait as it's useless without devices to plug into, which consist of a few RAID enclosures right now and most editors are covered on that front already.

If you go for the current machine, you'll get a super capable system now for what will probably end up being a wad of cash less than an eventual revision. David's advice on going for an Adobe-approved nVidia GPU to unlock CUDA potential is excellent.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:29:04 am

I'm of a different theory about Thunderbolt. I'm waiting for new ThB enabled towers since it's not something that can be added to an existing machine via card. If I needed a new tower *now* I would certainly buy one, but since I'm not under duress I'm going to wait.

I have a MBP with ThB and I like the idea of being able to use the same external devices regardless of I/O across my machines. Matrox and Blackmagic Design have ThB video I/O solutions. LaCie and Belkin are showing off ThB docks at CES (LaCie as showed off a ThB drive). Egato, Seagate, and OCZ announced bus-powered ThB pocket SSD drives. MSI announced an external PCI case that connects via ThB. Sonnect Tech has an ExpressCard/34 card reader the connects via ThB (great for the new 15" MBPs that don't have ExpressCard slot).

The list of devices is growing and I only expect it to get longer now that Apple's window of exclusivity is gone. ThB is an Intel tech and I bet you they'll be pushing it hard (PCs w/ThB are supposed to start becoming available this spring).

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Jan 12, 2012 at 9:12:30 am

thanks guys - echos many of my own thoughts.

Certainly agree about the Nvidia card... I bought my current ATI card to use mainly with Color,3 months before adobe announced the mercury engine!

Thunderbolt holds no interest for me. I don't have any TB devices, and dont foresee getting any in the near future. All my storage is on fibre channel raids, so i just need to add to those when i need more.

Davids comments about clients leaving FCP is irrelevant to me. All the commercials i make are for our own products and the boss is only interested in results - he has not one clue about how i achieve those results.

thanks for your thoughts.
adam

Adam Taylor
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jan 12, 2012 at 12:20:56 pm

Put it this way - prices on those current 12-cores will plummet if new ones are announced, so you'll lose if you don't wait. Even if you plan to keep using FCP7, you'll see gains on newer machines - it's amazing how well the Quad-core i7 iMacs run with both this and AE.

Also - you might want to consider that new machines = new OS - you'll need to transition to Lion if you haven't already - but buying an EOL 12-core would avoid it.

Opinion piece follows:

CUDA on CS5.5 is a unicorn feature - always sought after, but rarely delivering real benefit in most existing FCP workflows (it accelerates only some effects and transitions and some playback), and PPro is a poor-man's FCP still in most cases. That's my opinion anyway. So don't worry about cards yet. Maybe CS6 will see some real-world advantages. Me? I'm staying with FCP7 until I either have a compelling reason to change, or FCPX steps up - it's rather fun! That's if AVID doesn't pull me back to 1999 before then...

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:21:26 pm

Its mainly the Lion issue that is causing me concerns. I haven't jumped to it yet, because of concerns that FCP7 may not be as happy with it.

As for Cudai'm on the fence - i tried using cs5.5 PPro a couple of times and had ridiculously slow load times and a whole host of other issues. I gave up in the end.

Avid is certainly looking more appealing than it did when i last used it 8 or 9 years ago - but i still feel its not quite as flexible when it comes to layering graphics etc. On the plus side, its supposed to be far more integrated with ProTools now. If i could edit and mix in the same app - that would be a big step for me.

All dreams for now - i still need to work up a cost analysis and confuse the boss some more!
Wonder if i can get him to stump up for Smoke?

adam

Adam Taylor
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jan 12, 2012 at 2:56:53 pm

I don't use Lion on my main systems, but have it on a laptop and there are no issues with FCP7 - and I've seen none others reported, so I wouldn't worry to be honest. I've noticed new drivers for some cards (I have Kona, BM AND Matrox video devices) are Lion specific, so to be honest, it may be safer to move over sooner or later. It's definitely a good time to up your RAM!

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Sheree Day
on Jan 16, 2012 at 6:29:08 am

I have Lion and FCP7 and it works perfectly

Return to posts index

Jim Murphy
on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:09:17 pm

Any recommendations on upgrading the GPU? I have a MacPro 2010 tower with the stock card. What card would be a logical upgrade and what type of increased performance should I expect using FCP7?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 20, 2013 at 5:35:57 pm

The GTX 680 Mac Edition is the top GPU available for Mac Pros, and they are only about $500. I just bought one myself in fact.

The benefits of the GTX 680 in FCP legacy will be minimal, as that software was never written to benefit from GPU acceleration. With Premiere, the benefits are HUGE.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Jim Murphy
on Aug 20, 2013 at 6:49:35 pm

even if running FCX?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]