FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes422 files not updating when replaced

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Coy
ProRes422 files not updating when replaced
on Jan 10, 2012 at 7:47:49 pm

Not sure why it only happens with ProRes422 or ProRes4444 format files, but when I render out a file from say, After Effects or ProAnimator, and import it into Final Cut Pro (using version 7, but it was the same on 6), it keeps the first version you import, even after overwriting the file with a new version. If you change the name of the file, it will import the new file with no problems. If I use a different codec, like Animation, I don't have this problem.

This is an issue I run into when trying to update an animation without changing the filename (trying to avoid needing to do a replace edit) and it is frustrating.

Anyone know a workaround or a setting to change to get it to disregard the cached copy and use the new file?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: ProRes422 files not updating when replaced
on Jan 10, 2012 at 8:09:06 pm

I run into this a lot when I render clips out of After Effects. Close the FCP project, delete the old clip, put the new clip in the same folder with the same name, and open the FCP project.

If you've changed fundamental things like frame rate, duration, H&V size, etc. you'll get an error message but you can still work with it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: ProRes422 files not updating when replaced
on Jan 11, 2012 at 4:32:09 am

I do this almost daily in AE. In the render cue I always duplicate the old comp with "duplicate with file name." AND, to ensure that "work area only" gets strored as specific ins and outs, I click on "custom" which sets the work area as a specific. That way, when I duplicate, it will be exactly the same, no matter what work area I have set.

Something must be changing. If you overwrite a file with a file of exactly the same specs, FCP will only notice a date change and unrender anything associated with it. Which is what you want of course.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]