FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Widescreen/Fullscreen

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Johnson
Importing Widescreen/Fullscreen
on Jan 9, 2012 at 3:09:34 am

When I am import video from my camera and I begin editing, it is in widescreen format. I am trying to figure out where the option is to have it in full screen. I understand that the simple solution says that "Anamorphic" is widescreen and I should select the other alternative option. But I have tried playing around with different options but cannot find out the solution. I am an amateur with most of the tech terms, so feel free to speak to me as if I'm a 5th grader. I will try to provide as many of the specs as I can now. The camera I am using is a Canon Vixia HF M30. I am using Final Cut Pro 7. Under Easy Setup, the format is NTSC, Rate: all rates, and Use is DV NTSC. Under Audio/Video Settings in the Summary I have Sequence Preset: DV NTSC 48 kHz, Capture Preset: DV NTSC 48kHz, Device Control Preset: FireWire NTSC, Video Playback: [Missing] Apple FireWire NTSC (720 x 480) ((This may or may not be another issue.)) and Audio Playback: Default. Going further with Audio/Video Settings under the Sequence Presets tab, I have DV NTSC 48kHz. Under the Capture Presets tab I have DV NTSC 48 kHz.

If I am missing any more information that you need, please let me know. I will be happy to answer to help clear things up and I will be patient. I would like to know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,
Stephen

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Importing Widescreen/Fullscreen
on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:40:04 am

You didn't mention what your footage is?
Your sequence is DV NTSC.

Did you shoot widescreen?

If you shot to DV tape, when you bring it in, it comes in as shot.

But, you can go into the "distort" properties and alter the clip size there.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:45:18 am

Hi Stephen

Well - you did ask for 5th grade (but I'll try to go easy)....

Based on a quick scan of the internet about your camera, but with no info in your post (I'm guessing because you don't really know) I see that your camera shoots HD video to cards.

At the moment, it looks like you are bringing those files in somehow (?), and dropping them into the default DV (which is 4 by 3 SD) timeline. HD material is natively 16 by 9, so it would both scale down (losing a lot of quality that might not be apparent in the FCP canvas window which is half res) and letterboxed automatically to fit the DV frame size.

What you should be doing is using "Log and Transfer" to import all your camera files in a format FCP likes (such as ProRes - please see the manual) and then drag one clip into an empty timeline and ask FCP to match the timeline settings to the same as your media.

In all honesty, there is too much to explain (some of which I suspect you are unaware of) in a post, but I really would recommend looking at the sections of the manual detailing video formats. Also, try to read up on the easy setup options, and those detailing the video output settings. The manual is available within the FCP application.

Also, all 5th graders will find a warm welcome in the basics forum.

Hope that helps.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Stephen Johnson
on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:36:08 pm

Thanks for replying so soon. Sorry I did not include how my camera records footage. Yes, it does record onto memory cards and also the built in memory. Is AVCHD a thing? That might be what I use. And I do use Log and Transfer when importing the footage into Final Cut. When Final Cut asks me if I want to match clip settings with timeline settings, I try it each way but the footage is still widescreen. So maybe this is a camera problem and not a Final Cut problem. I'll keep playing with it.

Thanks again guys,
Stephen

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:44:28 pm

AVCHD is the codec. It's HD. FCP usually transcodes this on import (there are options in the log and transfer window) to something else.

HD is widescreen - hence the widescreen edit.

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Stephen Johnson
on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:51:23 pm

I have made videos using the same camera model before and they were full screen.

Return to posts index

Stephen Johnson
on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:58:10 pm

It wouldn't have anything to do with the way I export the video, right?

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jan 10, 2012 at 12:17:14 am

You said your sequence was set to DV right? This is 4x3 - unless you check the anamorphic tag ON AN EMPTY SEQUENCE before bringing your HD footage in.

But again - this is a bad way of working. Shoot HD, edit HD - then export as whatever you want.

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]