FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro - transition tricks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Gattegno
Final Cut Pro - transition tricks
on Jan 9, 2012 at 2:29:10 am

Hey People,

Need some help to try and achieve a particular effect. Here is the reference clip, i suggest you watch this first before reading on.

Basically, our clip is similiar to this in a way that there will be one shot in a fixed room with a guy sitting down on a bed. There will be a girl that comes in & out of the shot but he will need to stay there the whole time. Not sure if i need to shoot two separate shots, i.e. Just the female in the shot, then just the male in the shot.

I am using Final Cut pro & shooting on a Canon 5D & 7D. The shot of the guy will be in Slow motion (using Twixtor) & the shot of the girl will be in real time.

Any help would be appreciated & Thank you in advance.

pettythieves.tv

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Final Cut Pro - transition tricks
on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:41:32 am

Shoot it twice with the camera Locked down.
Merge (mask) the 2.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:51:27 am

This will be easy to achieve if she never crosses behind or in front of him - you can just mask and merge the shots (like a half frame wipe).

If she does (a much more compelling effect) then you will need to shoot his scenes with a green screen pop-up behind him, so you can key around him, and if she goes in front, she will need those shots to be green-screened. This is the easiest way - short of rotoscoping.

I'd recommend After Effects for this, or the very expensive Keylight plugin for FCP - FCP's key blows.

If you shoot the shot so that you have some leeway (or if you're producing an SD master from HD footage) you can improve the effect by adding zooms or pans in the shot in FCP, but use this sparingly so it doesn't look artificial - the video you linked to has a zoom in it at the top done exactly like this.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Ben Gattegno
on Jan 10, 2012 at 12:48:09 am

Thank you for your fast reply. Unfortunately for this particular project we will not have the budget or the recourses to use a green screen.

Are you able to elaborate on the "masking & merging"? I will have to cheat it and make sure she does not cross in front of the subject.

I really appreciate your help.

Ben

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jan 11, 2012 at 4:08:35 pm

Two options off the top of my head - put one layer on top of the other, and simply crop the top layer left or right to reveal the layer underneath.

Or use the garbage matte tool to cut out the person you want to add in, and place it on top of the other layer.

If you find this beyond your knowledge, I'd suggest approaching an editor.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]