FORUMS: list search recent posts

FPC7 project takes an hour to open

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Fasman
FPC7 project takes an hour to open
on Jan 9, 2012 at 2:09:21 am

My FPC Project takes nearly an hour to open. The project file is only 1.8MB. There's 106 gigs of video files (mts) on an external WD Firewire 800 drive. I used Disk Utility, Tech Tool and Disc Rebellion Pro Maintenance Tools to no avail.

Model Identifier:          iMac11,2
  Processor Name:          Intel Core i5
  Processor Speed:          3.6 GHz
  Number of Processors:          1
  Total Number of Cores:          2
  L2 Cache (per Core):          256 KB
  L3 Cache:          4 MB
  Memory:          12 GB
  Processor Interconnect Speed:          6.4 GT/s
  Boot ROM Version:          IM112.0057.B00
  SMC Version (system):          1.64f5

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FPC7 project takes an hour to open
on Jan 9, 2012 at 3:44:58 am

[Michael Fasman] "There's 106 gigs of video files (mts) on an external WD Firewire 800 drive. "

FCP doesn't like to work with .MTS files natively. Best to convert them to ProREs.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Fasman
on Jan 9, 2012 at 4:23:43 am

I'm still logging 2 weeks worth of footage, haven't tried editing. I though FCP 7 automatically transcodes to ProRes? If not do you have suggestions for doing so?

THANKS!

Michael Fasman

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 9, 2012 at 4:56:25 am

[Michael Fasman] " I though FCP 7 automatically transcodes to ProRes? If not do you have suggestions for doing so?"

No...FCP doesn't automatically transcode. If you IMPORT, it makes clips that point to the media as is. To convert to ProRes you either log and transfer...using this workflow:

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Or use ClipWrap2.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Jan 9, 2012 at 3:46:02 am

How long does it take to load when the drive is disconnected and all of the media is offline?

I've seen this before with dodgy media files. These are media files that are not necessarily corrupt but there's something weird about them that FCP doesn't like. I once encountered a project that would take ages to load and it eventually turned out that the AE had created a self-contained movie in QT Player from a reference clip and for some reason that was slowing FCP even though QuickTime Player played it just fine. So once the project loads, it may be worthwhile to look through the browser columns to spot clips that don't quite match the others.

Also, presumably you have converted the MTS files to ProRes?

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index

Michael Fasman
on Jan 9, 2012 at 4:22:18 am

After hours of research it appears the issue is the WD GoFlex Free Agent drive which both hangs and isn't fast enough. I'm now considering either the 2TB CalDigit or G-Raid

Michael Fasman

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 9, 2012 at 5:32:55 am

[Michael Fasman] "After hours of research it appears the issue is the WD GoFlex Free Agent drive which both hangs and isn't fast enough. I'm now considering either the 2TB CalDigit or G-Raid"
Whatever the media storage you use, FCP won't be happy with unsupported stuff.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Fasman
on Jan 9, 2012 at 5:05:14 pm

Panasonic released the AVCCAM Importer (QuickTime Plug-in component). They say "The AVCCAM Importer QuickTime plug-in component is to enable direct editing of AVCHD ".mts" file (*1) without conversion. AVCHD clips recorded on a Panasonic AVCCAM lineup product can be handled directly in QuickTime 7 and Final Cut Pro 7.0.3."

After installing all my clips appear in the bins and they seem to edit fine. Am I missing something? Do I need to spend $50 on ClipWrap?

https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/download.htm#avccami...

Michael Fasman

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 9, 2012 at 5:19:31 pm

[Michael Fasman] "Panasonic released the AVCCAM Importer (QuickTime Plug-in component). They say "The AVCCAM Importer QuickTime plug-in component is to enable direct editing of AVCHD ".mts" file (*1) without conversion. AVCHD clips recorded on a Panasonic AVCCAM lineup product can be handled directly in QuickTime 7 and Final Cut Pro 7.0.3.""
ou are absolutely right, in fact i downloaded the component (thinking on a Lumix that I've just bought), but I completely forgot about.
I've just downloded again. Curiously says "The software was updated for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). (Ver 1.1)'.
Hope its works on SL.
rafael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 9, 2012 at 5:47:53 pm

That will let you view the files in QT...and yes, even import them into FCP. But just try to work with those files. It will be a total and utter BEAR to work with.

Best to transcode.

If you want the ability to work with AVCHD native, get Adobe PPro CS 5.5. And a GOOD graphics card that enables CUDA and the Mercury Engine. Because you'll need serious power to manage AVCHD native.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Fasman
on Jan 9, 2012 at 6:20:28 pm

ok, just bought ClipWrap. I'll transcode all footage into ProRes (though the Divergent Media site says AIC is fine).

http://www.divergentmedia.com/blog/fullpost/choosing_postproduction_codec

Unfortunately I already imported all the clips into FCP and made subclips. Should I transcode then start a new project importing those files? I haven't started editing.

Michael Fasman

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Jan 9, 2012 at 5:32:24 pm

FCP is designed to work with QuickTime media encoded with an I-frame codec such as ProRes, Apple Intermediate, Uncompressed, DV, etc. It does not work well with Long GOP media, even if you use a QuickTime importer to rewrap it on-the-fly.

You are trying to use FCP in a way that it was not designed for and you will run into problems. I would recommend transcoding your media to ProRes or editing the MTS files in an application like Adobe Premiere that is designed to work with native media.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 9, 2012 at 5:50:31 pm

Hi Michael,
I've just installed the component and works great with the GH2 files..
Thanks for the reminding.
rafael

Return to posts index

Michael Fasman
on Jan 9, 2012 at 7:48:53 pm

thanks, last dumb question. Once transcoded into ProRes would I import them into a new project or log and transfer?

Michael Fasman

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 9, 2012 at 8:05:19 pm

Import. Once they are ProRes, you just import. Or drag into a bin

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved