FORUMS: list search recent posts

need to get rid of clicking noises

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Cole
need to get rid of clicking noises
on Jan 9, 2012 at 12:19:19 am

I am using final cut pro 7 and I keep getting these clicking noises whenever the playhead passes over the beginning or end of a sounldclip during a playback. Sometimes they go away if I use an audio fade out or just mute the end with the pen. At first I thought it was just a playback issue and it wouldn't show up on an exported file but it does! I am using aiff.

If anyone could help be out I would really really appreciate it. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: need to get rid of clicking noises
on Jan 9, 2012 at 2:40:18 am

The clicking noise indicates to me that your audio either has some very low frequencies or DC in the signal. If you must do the sound post within FCP then try a hi pass filter with the roll off set to around 60 Hz. If that works on a few clips then copy the filter and apply to all clips

Return to posts index

Jacob Cole
on Jan 10, 2012 at 10:45:29 pm

That was it. Thank you so much for the advice. If I want to make a career out of editing, I need to know things like this.

Thanks again.

-Jake

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jan 9, 2012 at 10:18:40 am

It's an inherent problem with frame based cutting. To avoid clicks completely you'd have to cut where the signal is at zero, not above or below it. That's easy with sound editors that have sample accuracy cutting, but the chances are that the audio cutting point in any video editing software is at a "zero crossing point" is relatively slim.

Key framing the level with the pen tool is the best way around it, but it's usually quicker to just throw a 1 frame dissolve on every audio cut.

Return to posts index

Jacob Cole
on Jan 10, 2012 at 10:47:04 pm

Andrew, thank you for noting this. really helped me out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]