FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut X won't import .mov captured files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Houle
Final Cut X won't import .mov captured files
on Jan 7, 2012 at 11:31:03 pm

Hi folks and Happy New Year to all!

I'm come across an issue where FCX will not import .mov files captured on my older Macs.
These files are captured using FCP 5 or 7. Sequence settings are DV NTSC 720x480. I won't list the audio details as they can be read by my new machine (will explain below).

What I'm capturing:
SD camcorder and VHS tapes using a Canopus ADVC300 connected via FW to my macs. I just switch cables to whichever machine I'm using.

The issue: these captured files can not be read by QT 10.1 nor FCX on my 2010 MP (with Lion). When I try to open them in QT 10.1 or import into FCX, only the audio is present. No video is present. If I open those same files on my 2009 Mac Pro with QT 10.0 (Snow Leopard is the OS), they can be viewed as they should be.

QT 7 Pro is installed as I do have FCS 3 installed on the same machine. QT 7 Pro can read the same captured files and FCP 7 can also import the file.

I captured the same tape from within FCX and of course, it works. When I check the info on that file, it is DV/DVCPRO NTSC 720x480

If I take the files captured from the G5, G4 or 2009 Mac Pro and transcode them using QT using 'make a Quicktime movie' and choose DVCPRO as the format - those files work in FCX or can be viewed in QT 10.1

Support suggested I check the codecs listed in QT 7 on my older machines vs codecs listed in QT 10.1. The only differences are HD codecs listed in the latter.

I also tried changing my sequence settings in FCP 5 or 7, but there's no DVPRO option for NTSC - only for PAL. I might try creating a custom capture sequence?

The only difference is that using Final Cut (any version, but FCX) captures as DV NTSC 720x480 and the new one does DV/DVCPRO. I should also note that I have FCS 3 on both my 2009 and 2010 Mac Pros, as well as FCX. I just tried capturing the same tape using FCP7 on my 2010 Mac Pro and the same things happen - won't import into FCX and can't be read by QT 10.1, but can be viewed by QT 7 Pro.

There ' is ' a workaround of transcoding the FCS captured files, but as I told Apple pro apps support, in my mind, this is unacceptable - the captured files are just standard def quicktime files. It's not like I"m asking the G4 or G5 to ingest HD footage. This should be a backwards compatible issue where the latest version of QT should read the captured files. I can't be profitable waiting for machines to transcode files.

Apple support of course said that FCX is a new way of thinking and wants the ingestion to occur from within, but these are standard def files and using my older machines as capture decks is critical for me remaining profitable. I need them capturing while I use the new 12 core machine's horsepower processing other projects for H.264 or DVD. Multi-tasking :)

So, after my long winded run - any suggestions?

Cheers,
Brian

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut X won't import .mov captured files
on Jan 8, 2012 at 12:54:04 am

Wrong forum...this is for Legacy FCP (FCP 1-7).

You want the FCX Techniques forum:

http://forums.creativecow.net/fcpxtechnique

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brian Houle
on Jan 8, 2012 at 12:59:33 am

Thanks Shane.
I only see options to move this into another forum but the only fCPX is the to FCPX or not: the debate forum.

Should I just copy and paste? Trying to follow proper etiquette.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 8, 2012 at 2:15:07 am

Copy and paste....

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]