FORUMS: list search recent posts

Difficulty Converting MP4 for FCP 7 Use

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Kean
Difficulty Converting MP4 for FCP 7 Use
on Jan 7, 2012 at 5:46:18 pm

I've been searching for a solution but everything I've found relating to this doesn't work for me. I have an MP4 (with AVC Coding, 640 x 360, Millions AAC, Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz) that I need to edit in FCP 7.0.3. I've tried the standard solution of MPEG Streamclip with no luck. When I try to export as ProRes with current settings, I get a message that says "Error: can't prepare the movie." I've tried several different codecs to no avail (Intermediate, DV NTSC, etc.)

I also tried the QT 7 Pro export (with various codecs) and I end up with audio but the video is simply a white screen.

Any ideas on any other ways to get this converted to an editable format?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Difficulty Converting MP4 for FCP 7 Use
on Jan 7, 2012 at 5:57:20 pm

Try downloading and installing Perian (google it).

Once installed, Streamclip or Compressor should be able to deal with it

Return to posts index

Terry Kean
on Jan 7, 2012 at 6:01:55 pm

I already have Perian installed...but thanks for the quick reply.
I forgot to mention that Compressor won't even open the file.

Any other ideas?

Terry Kean

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 7, 2012 at 6:04:53 pm

Seems that you are able to open the clips on MPGSTreamclip and QT, so that sounds to some kind of clip protection.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Terry Kean
on Jan 7, 2012 at 6:15:31 pm

Would there be a way to tell if there is any protection on it?

Terry Kean

Return to posts index

Terry Kean
on Jan 7, 2012 at 7:17:54 pm

Ok...I got it to work in Compressor...but the weird thing is the way it appears in the job window in Compressor. When I drop the settings/destinations on the job, nothing shows up. Here's what it looks like:

Terry Kean

Return to posts index

Roman Belov
on Jan 7, 2012 at 7:36:48 pm

I think with Media Encoder everything should be OK

Creative Programming for Cinema

Return to posts index

Dean Brocklehurst
on Jan 15, 2012 at 9:49:56 pm

Hi Terry, I had the same problem. I was given an MP4 file from a client who wanted some voice over adding to it simply for web use. FCP would allow to import but would shut down as soon as I tried to drag onto the timeline.

i'm aware the MP4 isn't an edit format but found it sometimes worked in the past. MPeg Streamclip wouldn't export, iMovie wouldn't import, Compressor wouldn't recognise.

heres what seemed to work

Quicktime allowed me to export to a .mov file but FCP still wouldn't accept this, however Mpeg streamclip does. So once exported through quicktime player re-export again through mpeg stream clip to the file format you want. FCP then accepts this file.

My video is only needed for web use but I haven't noticed any drop in quality but will keep you posted if any issues occur once finished

Return to posts index

Grant Wilber
on Oct 17, 2012 at 12:53:37 pm

Just wanna include a reply to this as I was having the same issue and found this thread on google.

I had a .mp4 that wouldn't open in quicktime or mpeg streamclip.

Ended up using a program called iSkysoft Video Converter. Converted it to a .mov then used mpeg streamclip to further convert it to pro res for FCP editing. Other converting programs may be able to do the same thing though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]