FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP and a new Macbook Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert DePalma
FCP and a new Macbook Pro
on Jan 6, 2012 at 11:46:42 pm

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me configure a new Macbook Pro before I order. I'm looking to run FCP (7.0.3) on a 15". Not really sure about ram needed, processor speed, etc. I'm sure additional ram and processor speed can't hurt, but does it help all that much to make it worth the extra $$$?
Any suggestions? Much appreciated!

Robert

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: FCP and a new Macbook Pro
on Jan 7, 2012 at 4:22:57 am

FCP only uses up to 4GB of ram, getting more ram will not improve FCP's performance or render speed. I would suggest getting a 7200 RPM hard drive.

Eric
Blog- Video Bits

Return to posts index

Robert DePalma
on Jan 7, 2012 at 4:28:24 am

Thanks for the reply. I actually have another question, after doing some research: will I be able to install FCP7 on a new Mac that comes with Lion?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 7, 2012 at 5:22:41 am

Yes. No problem. It's FCP 6 that has an installer that isn't compatible. FCP 6 itself is, if you can get it installed.

Get as much ram as your system can handle. EVERYTHING will run better and faster. Lion needs much more RAM than snow leopard. Just don't buy the RAM from Apple. I just bought 16gigs for my iMac from Crucial via Amazon and it was $70. Apple wanted $600. It might even be the same RAM for your laptop. If you're going to run more than one app and want everything running nicely get lots and lots of RAM.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 7, 2012 at 2:31:25 pm

I agree with Bret.
Buy the faster one you can, with the best Graphic card available and put as much RAM as you can.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Robert DePalma
on Jan 7, 2012 at 2:41:26 pm

Thanks a lot guys. One more thing; do you feel that the solid state drives are worth the additional cost? It's a big difference in price and space, but seems to have a big reliability factor.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 7, 2012 at 4:31:30 pm

[Robert DePalma] "Thanks a lot guys. One more thing; do you feel that the solid state drives are worth the additional cost? It's a big difference in price and space, but seems to have a big reliability factor."
I don't have SSHDs on my Macs, but next one will have it. I think they are great when having few applications working at the same time.
The SSD speed up the opening of the system and applications, but once they are opened i don't think they would speed up the applications processes. Once an application is open, the system store much of the info that needs to run the application in the RAM.
With FC, I guess you would see the difference if you are using the internal disk as your media and scratch disk.

rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Jan 10, 2012 at 2:21:21 am

It is true that having more RAM will help your computer run other programs better while FCP is open, but FCP itself will not use more than 4GB. And definitely do not buy it from Apple as Bret says, ridiculously overpriced.

Eric
Blog- Video Bits

Return to posts index

Robert DePalma
on Jan 11, 2012 at 8:47:00 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Went with the 2.5ghz with 4gb of Ram and the non-glare screen. Ok, time to start editing...
thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]