FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jagged looking fonting...can't find the reason

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Herriott
Jagged looking fonting...can't find the reason
on Jan 6, 2012 at 9:50:21 pm

Hey there...

I did a project a couple of years ago using FCP. Shot on HD using a Canon Vixia HF20, went to Compressor after using FCP and then on to DVD Studio Pro. Was very happy with the result.

Cut to present day. Same camera, now using FCP 7.0.3 (was using FCP 6.0.6). Cut a sequence, went to Compressor (newer version) and then on to DVD Studio Pro (newer version). Except this time, while the video looks fine, the fonting is jagged looking on the DVD. The font that looked especially good on the project two years ago was "Cochin" (plain). Tried that with the new set-up...still jagged. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Jagged looking fonting...can't find the reason
on Jan 7, 2012 at 5:25:49 am

Let me guess, now you're watching on an HD monitor? BTW - it wasn't a new version of DVDSP. That hasn't changed since FCS 1 (FCP 5).

Return to posts index

Scott Herriott
on Jan 7, 2012 at 2:43:38 pm

On both my IMac screen and Sony Bravia HD tv I see the jaggedness.

Return to posts index

Scott Herriott
on Jan 7, 2012 at 3:20:17 pm

That is to say, the jaggedness is seen while watching a DVD on both the IMac and Bravia.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 10, 2012 at 11:42:36 pm

A little bell is going off here, but there may also be some voodoo going on.

We just encountered a somewhat similar situation, where a graphic went jagged on export to DVD, and the difference turned out to be how the graphic was imbedded on the timeline. It was 1920x1080 originally, but being dropped onto a 720x486 timeline. It went jagged if the media was imported directly, but rendered smooth if it was left as a nested sequence referencing a 1920x1080 timeline. In other words poor FCP scaling.

In other news, I've also noticed that I've been getting fewer unexplained nonlinearities in transcode operations by "unrendering" the FCP sequence, then sending it to Compressor, which seems to operate under a different set of rules.

This all sort of points to the fundamental instability of Final Cut overall, and why Apple came to its conclusion about burning the old house down instead of trying to renovate the sad thing.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]