FORUMS: list search recent posts

There is no Apple ProRes option in Mpeg Streamclip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zachary Moore
There is no Apple ProRes option in Mpeg Streamclip
on Jan 6, 2012 at 6:20:58 pm

I've been having an issue with FCP 6, and I've finally reached the limits of my googling abilites.

I shot my footage on a Canon 5D, and I imported it directly into FCP. Unfortunately, the footage is incredibly choppy and difficult to edit. However, I had a deadline, and I just worked with what I had.

Now that I have some free time, I've been trying to figure out the solution to this problem. I moved the footage over to a newer, faster external harddrive (lacie 500gb w/ Firewire 800). Same issue. I did some more research, and it seems like this is a common issue with footage from the 5D. Someone on another forum suggested that the solution would be to convert the files into Apple ProRes 422, and to change the audio settings to 48 khz. So I put one of the files into mpeg streamclip, and I discover that there is no Apple ProRes 422 option.

After googling some more, I discovered that the ProRes codec only comes with FCP. Which is great, except I have Final Cut Pro installed on my computer already.

So, tl;dr if anyone knows why I wouldn't have the Apple ProRes 422 codec installed on my computer even though I have FCP, that would be great.

Also, if anyone knows the solution to my main problem (choppy footage from the 5D) that would be equally helpful.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: There is no Apple ProRes option in Mpeg Streamclip
on Jan 6, 2012 at 6:37:33 pm

[Zachary Moore] " I moved the footage over to a newer, faster external harddrive (lacie 500gb w/ Firewire 800). Same issue."

Of course, the problem is that FCP can't properly decode and encode MP4 footage, which has little or nothing to do with system overhead or hard drive throughput. Editing MP4 and h.264 footage simply didn't make the cut when the developers ceased updating FCP and stared work on FCPX.

[Zachary Moore] "Someone on another forum suggested that the solution would be to convert the files into Apple ProRes 422, and to change the audio settings to 48 khz. So I put one of the files into mpeg streamclip, and I discover that there is no Apple ProRes 422 option."

Sure there is... You evidently didn't take the time to learn Streamclip or to read the manual.

Load a clip into Streamclip, choose File>>Export to Quicktime, then change the Compression drop-down to ProRes 422.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Zachary Moore
on Jan 6, 2012 at 7:51:16 pm

Thanks everybody! David Roth Weiss was correct, I was using Mpeg streamclip incorrectly. I did it the way he suggested with one of the clips and it seems to have solved the issue.

And I definitely will check out that video, probably as I wait for Streamclip to convert the files.

Return to posts index

Ted Hesson
on Mar 27, 2012 at 3:05:33 pm

Hi David-

Should MPEG Streamclip still show the Apple ProRes 422 codec option if I'm using Final Cut Express? Last week I was using FCP in another office and when I converted in MPEG Streamclip, the ProRes codec was an option. But now that I'm on my work computer (which has Final Cut Express), I don't see the ProRes codec listed as an option. I settled on trying Apple Intermediate but I'm not sure what that will do to the video. I'm shooting with a Canon G12.

Thanks, help from anyone out there is appreciated. I guess the simple solution is to buy FCP 10.

Return to posts index

Eric Rosenfeld
on Nov 18, 2013 at 3:21:08 am

That didn't work for me. I didn't get the "Apple Pro Res 422" as an option in the dropdown list for compression in MPEG Streamclip when I did that. Does that mean I just don't have it on my computer? I use iMovie 6 on a 2007 MacBook Pro. I don't have Final Cut Pro.

Return to posts index

Wes Tabayoyong
on Feb 6, 2014 at 3:06:15 am

I also just downloaded MPEG Streamclip - and it does not have ANY ProRes options when you select QuickTime.
Is there an older version that does?
Is there a different version that does?
Is it no longer an option?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 6, 2014 at 5:47:51 pm

[Wes Tabayoyong] "I also just downloaded MPEG Streamclip - and it does not have ANY ProRes options when you select QuickTime."

Like all QT enabled apps, Pro Res encoding is not actually part of the app, it's made possible by the installation of QT on the computer that either done manually or automatically, such as when you install FCP.

So, what OS are you running? What version of QT? Do you have FCP installed on this computer? Is it a Mac or a Windows machine?

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Ben Surber
on Mar 17, 2015 at 1:53:44 pm

OS X Yosemite, 10.10. Went ahead and downloaded QT7 as well (in addition to 10). Still no ProRes option in my dropdown. I had vast codecs/flavors on streamclip at my previous workplace via aja, and I love the program for it's simplicity and consistency. Anything else I should try exploring? Cheers all.

Return to posts index

Morgan Dirven
on Aug 23, 2016 at 12:22:28 pm

Hi to all... I've been looking for responses and usually this is the only site where people answear seriously.

So since i think i found an anwsear to the question: "There is no Prores option on MPEG Streamclip"

So i got this. (the man explains fairly well how to copy and past the settings into your common QT... From there Streamclip get's all the options and you are on your way.

(this is the tutorial)

https://www.timdoug.com/unpkg/ (this is the unpaking site, don't have any problemes since dl it)

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396?locale=en_US (as shared already, but here are the actual settings)

Et voilĂ !

# I have AE cs6, qt 7 and 10 premier and so on, but mediaencoder doesn't work anymore, and don't have FC.

Return to posts index

Ben Surber
on Mar 17, 2015 at 1:59:55 pm

Found: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396?locale=en_US

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 6, 2012 at 6:37:17 pm

You are correct in wanting to convert your 5D footage to ProRes. I'm not sure why MPEG Streamclip doesn't see the ProRes codec. Try Repairing Permissions or better yet run DiskWarrior then Repair Permissions. Have you tried Compressor? Be sure to turn on Frame Controls and adjust the quality settings. That will produce an excellent transcode.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 6, 2012 at 6:49:43 pm

Zachary

I'll put you up to another test. You have to do this on your own since you have some free time. It's also the best way to learn. Search for Tapeless Workflow with Final Cut 7 by Shane Ross. Even though you have FCP 6, this will still work for you. There is an easier way to get footage from your 5D into FCP without using MPEG Streamclip.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 6, 2012 at 6:56:51 pm

I'll provide the link to that tutorial....

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

(You guys need to bookmark it or something. :)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 6, 2012 at 7:50:15 pm

You're too nice Shane!

I have it bookmarked.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President