FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow "Underwater" Motion?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Reese
Slow "Underwater" Motion?
on Jan 6, 2012 at 5:25:54 pm

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I've seen a few videos where the subject is in a slower motion but the speech is still at the rate of the audio, and the audio is not slowed.

Such as this video of Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek"

Higher Frame Rate? Speed? Both? Some other mathematical pre production techniques?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Slow "Underwater" Motion?
on Jan 6, 2012 at 5:46:33 pm

This trick is all in the camera used to shoot -- a good one, ruling out DSLR's most popularly-used HD cameras -- and talent that's willing to rehearse a lot.

It's shot at 2 times normal speed, then slowed down by half. The talent lip-syncs to a sound track at 2 times normal speed during the shoot, which is NO easy chore! Hence the rehearsal time.

So if your editing frame rate is 29.97, you shoot at 59.94. If you cut at 24p, you shoot at 48p. Most cameras can't shoot at 48p, hence the good camera.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 6, 2012 at 7:51:12 pm

Watch closer: I think I see that this was shot in reverse, based on how the hair flies around. To do this, the singer sings the song backwards, to a backwards audio on-set playback. Then you just replace the audio with the forwards track and reverse the playback of the video.

Check out "lip dub" videos on youtube for many examples of this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 6, 2012 at 8:05:41 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I think I see that this was shot in reverse, based on how the hair flies around."

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I AM thinking to myself, "That poor lady! She's got to sing her song backwards? Ugh!"

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 6, 2012 at 8:13:15 pm

All that processing on the voice, who could tell?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]