FORUMS: list search recent posts

Migrate FCS3 to new Mac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Pygman
Migrate FCS3 to new Mac
on Jan 5, 2012 at 10:58:59 pm

I performed a clean install of Lion on my iMac. Prior to this clean install, I created a bootable clone of my hard drive using SuperDuper onto a 1TB external.
At the moment, I do not have access to my FCS3 install disks (they're in another state... long story), but I would like to somehow transfer the Final Cut software to my fresh Mac. I'm a bit hesitant to use Migration Assistant, due to the fact that you cannot choose which programs to transfer. I've also heard that Migration Assistant will not transfer this or similar programs. Is this true? Can anyone suggest a way I can move the studio set from a bootable clone back to my computer? It's been extremely frustrating getting a straight answer!

Any help would be invaluable!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Migrate FCS3 to new Mac
on Jan 5, 2012 at 11:17:47 pm

The only safe way is to have the original disks or disk images. Migration is not going to work.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 5, 2012 at 11:23:38 pm

[Luke Pygman] "I do not have access to my FCS3 install disks (they're in another state... long story)"

I swear...EVERYONE who doesn't have access to the original disks says this. Everyone. Even the "long story" part.

Sorry, migrating will not work. Gotta install from the installers.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Luke Pygman
on Jan 5, 2012 at 11:28:58 pm

Haha, I suppose that's true.

Thanks for the replies Shane and Steve. I'll have the discs shipped to me; thought there might be a quicker/simpler way.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 5, 2012 at 11:33:41 pm

[Luke Pygman] "I'll have the discs shipped to me; thought there might be a quicker/simpler way."

There's no quicker/simpler way if you're switching the OS.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
on Jan 6, 2012 at 9:42:44 am

A few months back I called Apple (Netherlands) for their official point of view/installation guide for FCS3 on Lion (my new MacBook Pro):

- FCS3 on Lion is possible, all applications will work
- Install the suite in the normal way
- Don't start any app yet!
- Run software update several times, untill it doesn't update anymore
- Then run the apps

Works well. They stressed it is crucial not to start an app before all updates are performed

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jan 6, 2012 at 11:17:24 am

[Richard van Harderwijk] "- FCS3 on Lion is possible, all applications will work
- Install the suite in the normal way
- Don't start any app yet!
- Run software update several times, untill it doesn't update anymore
- Then run the apps

Works well. They stressed it is crucial not to start an app before all updates are performed"

Just to note. In the recommended install procedure for having both FCS 3 and FCPX on the same drive running on Lion, after install and all updates, you should open Motion 4 before any other App. If this is due to some conflict with Lion and FCS 3, it couldn't hurt to open Motion 4 first. Even if you are not installing FCPX at all. Just a thought.

Return to posts index

Viktor Kibanov
on Jan 6, 2012 at 11:04:05 pm

For me the Migration Tool was useful, 2 weeks ago I bought a new 17´MacBook Pro with Lion 10.7.2 and made this migration (from Snow Leopard 10.6.3 working on MacBook Pro early 2008 - I had no time for clean install), after that I had to introduce the number of FCS and repair disc permissions. Actually I´m waiting for new faster hard drive to make the fresh install but for now I´ve just made one short and simple project with some titles and color correction and everything worked with Matrox Mini Max, that was AVCHD footage with ProRes transcode and AVCHD disc to finish (in Toast10). I didn´t check everything, I´m not professional and use FCP for simple editions of some medical videos and home videos as well. But I was amazed! So sometimes migration tool works well. You can check it if this works for you as well. Happy New Year to everybody!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]