FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP to Compressor ghost in the machine?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Popolo
FCP to Compressor ghost in the machine?
on Jan 5, 2012 at 6:51:51 pm

Hi...

Using FCP 6, Compressor 3, Mac G5, PowerPC...

I've been doing the same type of projects (90 min, 2 angle DVDs) for 5-6 years, I've recently starting seeing odd things happening during my export from FCP through Compressor. For example:

- I'd export audio to ac3 and end up with a completely silent track (DVDSP inspector verifies at 192kbps)
- Export of video is black. OR
- I would export two video tracks, one with a Compressor applied watermark, but it confuses the two videos and uses the wrong video for the watermark.
- After export is complete, FCP closes the project (with NO error popup) and a project replaces it in the browser with a name something like "FA387598-41F6-8561-8720-19"

As a investigative process (and workaround) I've been able to export the audio from FCP as an AIFF, then converting within Compressor and it turns out okay (done it 3 times). I don't have the luxury of time to do that with the videos, but based on the audio investigation, I'm assuming the issue is a FCP export, rather than a Compressor issue (?)
Any ideas?? Thanks.
I'm thinking of reinstalling FCP, but I'm afraid I don't know the best way to do that efficiently.

Anthony Popolo
Sunnyside Entertainment

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP to Compressor ghost in the machine?
on Jan 5, 2012 at 6:57:10 pm

Before you go off the deep end & reinstall, do the easy stuff first:
If you haven't turned off your machine for a while, try it.
Repair permissions & run Disk Warrior if you have it.
Trash FCP preferences.

If none of those work, that's when you think about reinstalling.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anthony Popolo
on Jan 5, 2012 at 7:30:15 pm

Thanks Dave. The restart didn't help. I'm embarrassed to admit, I've never repaired permissions or trashed preferences before, so I'm not exactly sure how to do it. Can you point me to a step by step guide? I do have Warrior and will do that. Thanks

Anthony Popolo
Sunnyside Entertainment

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 5, 2012 at 7:59:24 pm

Repair permissions using the OS Disk utility. Trash Preferences by using FCP Rescue; it's a free download and very google-able.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anthony Popolo
on Jan 5, 2012 at 8:04:47 pm

Thanks for pointing me the right direction. (My Disk Warrior is in process for the permissions). Thanks.

Anthony Popolo
Sunnyside Entertainment

Return to posts index

Anthony Popolo
on Jan 18, 2012 at 5:25:21 pm

Problem solved, finally. Just a final update:
After repairing permissions (Disc Utility and Disc Warrior), trashing preferences, and even after uninstalling and reinstalling entire FCP Studio, problem persisted. Then, I started seeing file save errors within FCP ("i/o error"). Turns out my hard drive which housed the FCP project files was slowly failing over time (not enough to reveal major issues or be noticed by warrior). This was apparently randomly corrupting my FCP files, specifically things related to exporting through Compressor). Prior to replacing the HD, I copied a bunch of folders to another drive and during the process found a number of corrupted files.
I have since replaced the hard drive and all my NEW projects appear to process perfectly fine. Of course, all my previous projects are now suspect since damage to them has apparently been done (I tried to reprocess a previous problem project, and it is in fact still bad).
Anyway, thanks for your help!
Anthony

Anthony Popolo
Sunnyside Entertainment

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]