FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone using XSan, FCP 7 on Lion?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Billings
Anyone using XSan, FCP 7 on Lion?
on Jan 5, 2012 at 2:27:48 am

Hi all,

I was XSAN Certified when Version 1 came out, but haven't used it at all since then. I kind of still understand the big picture, but the day to day problems I am not up to date with.

So, how well does the free version of XSan that is included in Lion work? Any new issue to look out for? is the configuration pretty much still the same, MDC, Backup MDC, dedicated Metadate Volume, etc.

The reason I am asking these questions is because the editorial company I work for is considering migrating up to FCP 7 and newer Mac Pros, so we can Edit in HD. Up to this point we have been nursing along 16 Fiber Connected Edit bays and another 12 AFP Connected Producer machines that run FCP 5.1. This really has worked quite well, even now, we rarely have any problems except for Hardware that gets replaced, but it obviously doesn't handle HD.

Is it worth investing in XSan at this point when we migrate up to new machines, FCP 7 and Prores 422 HD?

Is it realistic to plan for the Producers to be able to mount the XSan Volumes via AFP and be able to playback Prores 422 files successfully over the network or would the Producers Machines need to be Fiber Connected also? the Plan (if we go to XSan) would be to build and XSan Volume from six 4Gig fiber controllers stripped together, so throughput on the fiber Network should not be an issue, but what about the Ethernet connected machines, can they handle Prores 422?

Are people successfully using the new Mac Mini with the San Link as the MDC and Backup MDC? Is there another approach?

I would really love some input on this stuff, because the XSan Discussion Board is not very busy these days and the current posts sound like the Permissions Problems that plagued version 1 have not been resolved.

What are the other options? How successful are they at handling a 15 seat Fiber Editorial House? Etc.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved