FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better looking conversion... 30p>24p or 25p>24p

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cade Muhlig
Better looking conversion... 30p>24p or 25p>24p
on Jan 5, 2012 at 1:13:34 am

I got a small contour action cam thing recently, and I want to use it to spice things up and get some different angles on our next documentary.
The other cameras shoot in 24p, which is what I edit and master in, but it will eventually go to broadcast (NTSC).

I have only two choices of frame rates with the little camera: 25p and 30p. What's going to make a better looking conversion to 24p? I tested and discovered that 25p is better in low light, so that's a plus. What do you say?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Better looking conversion... 30p>24p or 25p>24p
on Jan 5, 2012 at 1:53:40 am

25p, if you don't need to worry about sync sound. Convert to ProREs...then Conform with Cinema Tools to 24fps...done.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Cade Muhlig
on Jan 5, 2012 at 1:59:43 am

basically that would speed up the audio/video using cinema tools right?
Have sync sound I think will be needed. Converting to prores, then right into final cut pro would mean final cut will drop one frame a second though right? Would it look bad? Then I wouldn't have to worry about having the time go out of sync. or am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 5, 2012 at 8:23:30 am

If you need to keep things in sync, then 30fps to 24fps would be the better option. Conforming 25 to 24 would throw things off.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jan 6, 2012 at 12:52:26 am

[Shane Ross] "If you need to keep things in sync, then 30fps to 24fps would be the better option. Conforming 25 to 24 would throw things off."

I would suggest the opposite. 25 to 24 is such a slight slow down that you can do the same to the audio and not notice the pitch change. I can recommend Episode 6 for this but Compressor may do it as well.

John

Return to posts index

Cade Muhlig
on Jan 7, 2012 at 11:24:17 pm

Yes, but any amount of slowing will make it lose sync with audio recorded on a different device.
Thank you both though.
It's going to be daylight for all the shots i think, so 30p will be fine. and the extra frames will allow me to slow it down a bit in post if needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]