FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Nikon AW100 .mov files crashing FCP.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Jesperson
Importing Nikon AW100 .mov files crashing FCP.
on Jan 3, 2012 at 7:07:09 pm

I am becoming more and more frustrated with this new Nikon coolpix AW100 camera... can anyone help?

I am an advanced FCP 7 user and have hit a wall with this one. Hoping someone has the genius in them to help me understand why the .mov files are crashing FCP 7 almost every time I try to import. The file format is as follows - H264 HD1080p (1920X1080) @ 30fps

I have tried other file formats to check if my software is acting up, this is not the case. It only crashes with this new format. The interesting bit is that I have had success importing a clip here and there and have access to edit without a glitch. It's teasing me.

I've contacted Nikon support several times which led me to teaching them how to use their own product. They have no clue, it's sad.

Please help if you have a solution.

Thank you,
Dan - Portland, OR

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Importing Nikon AW100 .mov files crashing FCP.
on Jan 3, 2012 at 7:15:57 pm

[Dan Jesperson] "I am an advanced FCP 7 user and have hit a wall with this one. Hoping someone has the genius in them to help me understand why the .mov files are crashing FCP 7 almost every time I try to import. The file format is as follows - H264 HD1080p (1920X1080) @ 30fps"

If you are indeed an advanced user, then I'm not sure why you don't know that h.264 is not recognized as "realtime editing codec" in FCP. That info has been widely written about here and elsewhere for years. H.264 needs to be transcoded to a realtime codec such as ProRes 422 before editing.

Yes, before you mention it, FCP will accept an h.264 on the timeline, but it will also quickly balk at those files after you add a few clips or a few filters. Don't be fooled, h.264 will bite you eventually, so you will need to transcode everything. Okay?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Dan Jesperson
on Jan 3, 2012 at 7:37:53 pm

Yes, H264 is a beast, I agree. I have not had these problems in the past with hard crashes like this, hoping for a workaround instead of having to transcode. Sounds like there isn't. Thought I would give the camera a shot, unfortunately it isn't a match for me. Sending back and replacing with the Panasonic Lumix TS3 which captures mjpeg. Should have stuck with what works for me.

Thanks for your response.

Dan - Portland, OR

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 3, 2012 at 7:55:53 pm

You could always switch to FCPX... :) But, other than that, or Premiere, or Avid, you're stuck transcoding.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 3, 2012 at 9:11:40 pm

[Dan Jesperson] " Sending back and replacing with the Panasonic Lumix TS3 which captures mjpeg. Should have stuck with what works for me."

That will need to be converted too, BTW.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]