FORUMS: list search recent posts

Switching computers during an FCP edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Robbins
Switching computers during an FCP edit
on Jan 3, 2012 at 3:27:52 pm

Hello,

I was wandering whether anyone can clarify. A production company has started an edit & are sending it over to me to finish. They are sending the FCP file &any files used for the edit on an external hard drive. However I will be editing off my own mac.

Are there potential problems here when reconnecting the media and if so, how can they be overcome?

I look forward to your advice and thank you in advance

Martin Robbins

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Switching computers during an FCP edit
on Jan 3, 2012 at 4:46:02 pm

There's no way to know what, if any, issues you might face, as we have no details about the project or the organizational capabilities of the editor(s) who have been working on it.

Sharing or transporting projects is done all the time with FCP however, and as long as you are using the same version or a higher version than your predecessors, you should have no problems. If you do, come back and we'll help you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Fred Miller
on Jan 3, 2012 at 5:29:09 pm

Should be pretty straight forward. Some factors that might cause problems include:

If you have media files that have exactly the same name-make sure that you are linking to the proper file.

You are working on an older version of FCP. This may make it a little more difficult to get that file to open directly without using XML.

If the the project is using third party effect plug ins that you don't have. The project will open, but effects will cause clips to be un-rendered (as I recall).

FCP Studio 2
Dual 3Gg Quad Core
4Gg RAM
KONA 3
OS 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 3, 2012 at 10:32:23 pm

The other issue is installed fonts. FCP has a nasty habit of just substituting fonts if you don't have the ones the previous editor used on your system. You get no warning and it is a total pain to then find the missing font, install and then recover all the text that has had the font substituted. As a result I make sure the original file is never overwritten so 'save as' as soon as you open the project and work with your copy in case you have to go back and reopen the original.

The other common problem is editors grabbing bits of music and sound effects from their iTunes library or STP which often are on their system drive and end up missing when they send the project over. If they have also send material to Color or Motion, you will need their copy of those projects in case you need to make any changes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]