Interlaced footage in a progressive timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Ricker
Interlaced footage in a progressive timeline
on Jan 3, 2012 at 6:28:54 am

Hi there,

ok heres the story.
Multiple formats, i.e 1920 x 1080 HDV (upperfield 50i), XDCAM 25P and 720x576 anamorphic DVPAL (50i).

Timeline is set to 1920 x 1080, square pixels, Pro Res 422 LT, and field order set to NONE.

I believe i'm seeing combing artefacts in fast movement on the HDV footage on the computer screen. The PAL and XDCAM look fine, though?

If I play the footage to my 1080 TV via 1080i50 on a blackmagic card, the HDV footage looks perfect?

Oh and just to make this clearer, I have kept the original upper field flag when bringing it onto the progressive timeline? (I did try changing this flag to none, and bringing it on, but it looked exactly the same i.e still has combing artefacts)

My aboslute end product, will be DVD. None of this footage will be broadcast, it will just go straight onto DVD. I was hoping to put it on DVD as a progressive video, as alot of our clients will watch it on their progressive computer screens, and I dont want them to see combing artefacts, so i'm trying to solve this.

Any help is really most appreciated!

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
Re: Interlaced footage in a progressive timeline
on Jan 3, 2012 at 8:42:22 am

Hi Craig

I've just responded to your original post from a while ago but it sounds like this one is related?

As you have interlaced material in your timeline, your sequence settings need to be set to interlaced as well, or you could remain in a progressive sequence and add a de-interlace filter to all of your interlaced material. Setting the sequence to interlaced (i.e. Field Dominance: Upper) will not affect the progressive XDCAM media.
If you make the sequence interlaced you will also need to add a Shift Fields filter to the DV material as its field dominance will be Lower.

If you do decide to work in an interlaced sequence, you might want to then de-interlace using Compressor when you create the files for the DVD to avoid any issues with your clients viewing on computer screens. The best way to do this would be by changing settings in the Frame Controls tab.

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.postblue.tv
View Post Blue showreel
Shot on RED @ 100fps, Post on FCP/Color: Capoeira Film
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Jan 3, 2012 at 9:00:55 am

Ahh many thanks. That makes complete sense. Though as I've done majority of my animations in 25p and there's heaps less interlaced material maybe I should just use fcp deinterlace filter on the interlaced stuff. Everyone says bad things about that filter, but its never seems to look to bad for me.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jan 3, 2012 at 9:06:19 am

I don't have a problem with the de-interlace filter, but if you notice any issues you can de-interlace in much higher quality using Compressor. As your end product is DVD I doubt any quality loss from using the de-interlace filter will be noticeable.

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.postblue.tv
View Post Blue showreel
Shot on RED @ 100fps, Post on FCP/Color: Capoeira Film
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 3, 2012 at 4:54:20 pm

Everyone has bad things to say about the deinterlace filter for a reason... Using it does cut vertical resolution in half, so it's not exactly like most people dislike it for no reason.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 3, 2012 at 10:36:58 pm

PAL DVDs are interlaced so the final will be interlaced. If you want a progressive look then use a decent deinterlacing filter but you can do that with an interlaced sequence. Bear in mind that DV PAL is lower field

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Jan 4, 2012 at 10:43:21 pm

Ok so heres my game plan.

I'm going to set the sequence settings to "field order = upper", and apply a shift field filter of +1 to all the DV Pal footage. The XD cam progressive footage, will be fine sitting in the upper field sequence as, both its fields are the same regardless of which order.

Then I export off the timeline, put the movie file in compressor and use compressors deinterlace filter, to make a progressive Mpeg 2 clip, which I burn to DVD.

I understand DV Pal DVD's are lower field first, but as both fields will be the same, it'll appear as a progressive clip will it not and therefore look good on all computer screens.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 4, 2012 at 10:51:12 pm

PAL DVDs are upper. DV codec is lower so using the shift fields fixes that in the sequence.

Deinterlace in Compressor if you want it all to look progressive. The final m2v file for the DVD will be upper interlaced which will play fine on computer as the image within that 50i file is progressive.

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Jan 4, 2012 at 11:10:08 pm

Ok thanks for that info.
Now will the deinterlacer cause any quality loss on already progressive footage?
I.e the xdcam footage (which is majority of the project) is progressive. So when I flag the sequence as upper field i'm assuming, when I export the clip off the timeline, each field will still be the same even though its in a 50i clip. So when the deinterlacer in compressor kicks in, and does the multiple methods of field mashing, will that "essentially progressive frame" look any different, from its original.

One thing I did forget to mention is that, the output will be also for the web, in which it'll be a 1280 x 720 size in a h.264 format. So i'm trying to avoid any quality loss as you can imagine.

many thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 5, 2012 at 1:22:18 am

My personal preference would be to deinterlace within the original FCP sequence using good deinterlace filters like Nattress that give you blend controls to get best resolution. Doing it shot by shot is slow but you can adjust to optimise each shot rather than just an overall deinterlace in Compressor. It also means the XDCam is not processed.

Once all the material is deinterlaced you can make a self contained using current settings to make the DVD. You can also use that file to make the 1280 x 720 H264 where the fields can be set to none.

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Jan 5, 2012 at 1:30:34 am

But your assuming that blending 2 identical fields together will reduce the quality of the xdcam. If you blend or dont blend 2 of the same field, I cant see how it affects the frame. So putting a deinterlace on true progressive material, shouldnt do anything, or am I missing something of what a deinterlacer is doing?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]