FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Keeps Freezing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nico Todd
FCP 7 Keeps Freezing
on Jan 1, 2012 at 10:50:55 pm

For the past few days my FCP 7 has been freezing up on me when I'm trying to edit--the sound keeps playing but the video stops and I get the dreaded spinning beach ball. I trashed the FCP preference file and have run the disk utility program on both my computer (MacBook Pro) and external drive (1TB Lacie) but nothing seems to help. Can anybody suggest other steps I can take to alleviate this aggravating problem?
Thanks,
Nico

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP 7 Keeps Freezing
on Jan 1, 2012 at 10:57:17 pm

How full are your hard drives?

What is the codec of the video you're editing?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Nico Todd
on Jan 1, 2012 at 11:15:10 pm

My 1 TB LaCie Drive has 314 GB of available space. The video codec is Apple Pro Res 422 HQ.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 1, 2012 at 11:39:03 pm

[Nico Todd] "The video codec is Apple Pro Res 422 HQ."

Your single hard drive appears to be balking at ProRes HQ.

What was your camera original? And, do you really need HQ?

You will probably not encounter the same issue(s) with ProRes 422 (non HQ).

Also, is your Lacie a FW800 drive, or is it a USB?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Nico Todd
on Jan 1, 2012 at 11:55:22 pm

The LaCie is a FW800 Drive. I've been editing Apple Pro Res 422 HQ footage on the same machines for the past six months without any problems. This issue with the footage freezing just started happening a few days ago. So frustrating.

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
on Jan 2, 2012 at 2:41:47 pm

Sadly conincidental, have had much the same issue this very weekend, at least freeze/hang, beachball, then forced to Force Quit, then when FCP refuses to reopen, or the Mac Pro refuse to shutdown, requiring power button off shutdown, FCP has run for about an hour or so before repeating. And that was just scrubbing through native Pro Res HQ clips from a project in FCP7, marking up shots for project sequence I haven't even started to assemble.

I've been having problems for a while, it started with a RAID lock up transferring files from Atomos Ninja drives, large files, this also locked the RAID, so I moved the project file to an internal drive, so the RAID did not lock, but FCP still crashed, I soldiered on to finish that project, but things came to a head over xmas hols, I started trawling the web, and came very nearly here to post a desperate plea for help.

Anyway I had already started with Ken Stone's advice trashed the preferences, didn't work, repaired disk permissions on the boot drive, starting down this list in effect.... http://www.moviola.com/book/export/html/187
downloaded a trial of Digital Rebellion NLE maintenance, over the weekend I removed FCS and reinstalled it, and after a panic of a black screen after starting up FCP (F12 turn off Cinema mode) it was initially no change, I opened the Mac Pro, and checked the graphics card and my 2nd RAID controller card (Highpoint Rockraid 4322) which was the culprit the last time I had such instability, for scorching on the board, as the last time, after a strong sense of burning it proved to be a faulty card, that was 18mths ago, and I had noticed the odd whiff of electrical smouldering again a few weeks ago, nothing conclusive, but there is some slight discolouration, but yesterday, after saving after marking up every clip, I had had 8hours of solid with no problems. So the jury is still out on the RAID controller again.

I don't think it's cured, so it's fingers crossed. I do find myself now being less confident with being Mac based/FCP reliant, it's like back to my PC days. I just have no confidence in the Mac now. It's really disappointing.

The other thing that strikes me is what to do next, where to turn, I was considering taking a blank drive, and creating a completely new boot drive, with Leopard OS, another clean install of FCS, but yesterday my mood improved, but not before pricing up a new RAID... Caldigit (something with a rock solid rep... until you find web entries of problems, at least their After Sales is better, Highpoint was/is woeful), considering upgrading to Snow Leopard (from Leopard 10.5.8), or even Lion, so reading is FCP7 compatible with Lion threads, or even considering going back to a PC! The only thing is I like Multicam, and its the most important part of workflow, the half a dozen Ninjas are Pro Res. FCP7 was/great, I only want FCP8, and was waiting for FCP X to mature, and working up the funds for a new platform/RAID/edit software, etc ,etc. if it is not for me and jumping ship, hopefully to something as good as 7. I'd like to go CS5.5 (handles Pro Res) but only 4 multilcip angles, is not enough, if I had to move. I'm hoping CS6 might have 10-16angles, then I'm probably off and it may include going PC again, as Apple of late FCP and Mac Pro, I just don't know what to think about where they are going.

Is there anything worse than a lack of reliability in the underpinnings of your workflow?!!!!

As a side note please please come back if you have success on fixing your problem, the number of threads I have read this weekend where someone has a problem, is given lots of ideas and solutions to try where the OP never finally comes back to say "yes" this was it, or thats what fixed it, is really frustrating. The things I always used to say about the rare Apple based gear going wrong, makes the extra $ worth it, is a) someone else has always had the problem, b) there's a solution out there on the web, c) and you can usually fix it yourself (if its software). Now I'm no longer sure!

Return to posts index

James Brown
on Jan 9, 2013 at 1:42:50 pm

I've just been having a similar issue and have found many "solutions" in forums and none have worked.

It may be premature, but I have been working happily on my prores HQ 1080p footage on a FW800 drive for the last while (previously FCP was hanging nearly every 2 minutes) since I changed my sequence settings to Prores LT.

Obviously you'll want to reset your settings when it comes to exporting, but in terms of a fix for the instability, it seems to be working for me so far.

Return to posts index

James Brown
on Jan 9, 2013 at 2:22:53 pm

In addition rendering in 8bit YUV (also in sequence settings). you'll notice many of your preview bars go away if you use this because it's not requiring as much processing power. I haven't run into a problem since I changed both to Prores LT and 8 bit YUV in Sequence settings. Still early days yet though.

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:03:01 pm

Dang...same here, again, no final solutions yet? I've trashed prefs, hard drives aren't too full, i even did a full reinstallation of everything about 6 weeks ago. Mostly ran great for awhile, now back to this. Maybe some utility that was added? i don't know...

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

James Brown
on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:15:08 pm

From looking everywhere I found that there's a chance the hanging I was experiencing was to do with the new way that Mountain Lion redirects graphics processing. On an older model Macbook Pro on FCP7 it may cause problems.

I am now running fine on Lion (I had to clean install Snow Leopard from the disks then upgrade to Lion), but I also had my 2 drives on FW800 daisy chained, this continued to create slightly different problems. I changed the configuration to running one of my drives on the FW800 and the other on USB 2.0 which works fine editing 1080p video in FCP7.

So the solution was both operating system and drive configuration, which made it difficult to diagnose. But this solution has been working for a good few months now.

Cheers,
James

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:35:09 pm

Great to hear, James. On my last full clean install, i tried Mountain Lion...and then saw how my system just didn't like it. THEN i went to the forums to see that i shouldn't have tried it in the first place. : ) So did another full clean reinstall to go back to Snow Leopard. Ran great for a few days, then started the beach ball again. After further looking at my drives today, my main media probably is a bit too full, so i'm archiving some stuff off of it right now and will see if that does der trick. Thanks for the input.

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]