FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archiving Solution

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Stanchina
Archiving Solution
on Dec 30, 2011 at 8:27:53 pm

Currently i work in a small production outfit, i edit/shoot and we have a person for motion graphics.
we are currently running everything off of a Pegasus R6 10TB and a Mini Server this has been a great solution for us. but 10TB fills up pretty fast and i'm looking into a archiving solution. we have a bunch of 1 or 2TB usb drives laying around. my thought was to media manage all old projects on to these. and keep all current projects on the server. Maybe someone has a more elegant solution?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Archiving Solution
on Dec 30, 2011 at 8:55:40 pm

[John Stanchina] "my thought was to media manage all old projects on to these. and keep all current projects on the server. Maybe someone has a more elegant solution?"

Other than buying an expensive dedicated tape backup system for archival, your plan to media manage to the USB drives is probably the most sensible solution.

Keep in mind that any of those drives might fail at any time, so it's not 100% seamless and foolproof, but nothing is, except a completely redundant backup such as RAID 1 mirroring or a simple manual backup.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 30, 2011 at 9:16:07 pm

BRU Producers Edition...or Editor's Edition...tape backup by TOLIS is a great solution. TAPE backup...so reliable it is used by banks.

http://www.productionbackup.com/home.php

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Stanchina
on Dec 30, 2011 at 9:32:49 pm

yeah were running on a hot swap with raid 5 on the server, but yeah we need a backup for everything ASAP. i told my boss so maybe i should express the need for the backup again.

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Jan 3, 2012 at 12:37:43 pm

I know they have got mixed reviews on here but I use a Drobo pro for raided archive, you can add more drives (up to 8) as and when required.

Return to posts index

Fred Miller
on Jan 3, 2012 at 5:06:49 pm

Your solution will work fine,I've been doing that for several years now. It does require you to be diligent in your archive procedures and is a little more hands on than a automated tape backup system. Some things to keep in mind-these are just my opinions, everybody's threshold for risk is different:

Every project should be backed up on at least two different drives, and those drives should be stored in two separate locations (for instance, keep one in the office and one in a cool dry place at home).

You'll need a way to locate archived files and prjects for restore. A really neat product I've been using for years is DiscCatologMaker - link below. Scans any mounted media in seconds and creates an easily searchable database.

http://diskcatalogmaker.com/index.html

FCP Studio 2
Dual 3Gg Quad Core
4Gg RAM
KONA 3
OS 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Mar 4, 2012 at 12:32:48 am

So anything that will handle archiving to disk? Everything I find just does it to tape....

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 4, 2012 at 1:55:29 am

We are talking about archiving to hard drives...not tape.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]