FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor - encoding discrete channels to AAC and STAYING discrete

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Gaspard
Compressor - encoding discrete channels to AAC and STAYING discrete
on Dec 29, 2011 at 10:57:09 pm

I am attempting to encode SD Prores 422 with 4 discrete audio channels to H264 PAL (720x576 SD) AAC audio (256kbps) with discrete channels. I can get everything encoded right, HOWEVER:

When processing discrete channels, I must select 8.0 channels (surround) in compressor. This keeps the audio from down converting to stereo successfully and transcodes to AAC. I then have to MANUALLY open the encoded file in Quicktime 7 and command+J (show movie properties), select the sound track, drop down each channel and select the discrete channel mapping.

1. Does anyone have an applescript that could automatically do this?
2. If not, does anyone know of another way to process these files with the same settings but have discrete AAC audio channels?

This seems to not be a very common task. We are using these files for SKY play out in the UK. We have a 24 hour channel here that we simply play out Prores files.

I have tried Episode Pro, Compressor, mpeg streamclip, and handbrake. I would like to use Compressor as I have 35 edit systems clustered on an XSAN for distributed processing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Compressor - encoding discrete channels to AAC and STAYING discrete
on Dec 29, 2011 at 11:54:42 pm

Get a 5.1 encoder.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gaspard
on Dec 30, 2011 at 1:13:15 am

For Post Production files? Compressor has a 5.1 setting but I am not send out surround sound. I am sending 4 channels (1&2 are english, 3&4 are spanish) for SAP.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Dec 31, 2011 at 3:07:00 pm

Hi Michael,

The version of Compressor I have (3.5.3), has a "4.0" option. If you use this, is the channel mapping still wrong? More importantly, does it actually matter? As long as the channels are still discrete, does it make a difference if they are labelled "C/L/R/S" or "mono 1/2/3/4" or whatever? I guess it would be a function of how the playback software interprets the flags.

hth,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Michael Gaspard
on Jan 6, 2012 at 4:50:41 pm

Unfortunately, any program that uses quicktime audio out settings maps the channel outputs based on the quicktime channel settings. 4.0 still makes it 4.0 surround. The channels MUST say discrete or else it will not play out all 4 channels of audio or it will mix them down together (BAD). Still at a standstill here...

Maybe an applescript will do the trick? anyone familiar with how to set the channels to discrete using applescript?

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Jan 6, 2012 at 9:19:18 pm

Hmmm, a quick google search seems to suggest this isn't possible with applescript:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/quicktime-users/2009/Apr/msg00044.html

Have you tried mucking about with Automator? Maybe you can record an action that can be applied as a droplet or something? But you might have better luck finding help on some of the developer forums...

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Michael Gaspard
on Jan 9, 2012 at 7:31:08 pm

Yeah. I did get screen mouse recorder to do this. However, it takes FOREVER as it is realtime. Automator doesn't seem to like doing these settings in quicktime as it errors out midway through after using the record function. This was my first thought also. But it is too time consuming.

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on May 20, 2013 at 2:54:47 pm

Michael,

I thought I was the only one...

You may be interested in my post here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/278/3328

The way compressor and quicktime in general does not channel map is a huge let down. Experiment with setting the channels in quicktime properties before you encode.

Episode is the only app to really do this properly but it is far too expensive for the heavy lifting that we need. Apple have stopped making pro apps and I don't think compressor was ever really 'finished'.

Did you ever find a way to automate?

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited
http://www.neoverite.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]