FORUMS: list search recent posts

WMV - why can't I edit, and what to convert to?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Féron
WMV - why can't I edit, and what to convert to?
on Dec 29, 2011 at 8:07:41 pm

Hi CC's
I'm about to do my first FCP project with WMV files since I converted to Mac. Before now, I've been working with Vegas.
I've bought Flip4Mac, but I still can't edit those bloody files in neither FCP nor iMovie.
Nevertheless, I can open them with Quicktime and Compressor. This means I have a chance to convert the files. But what to? The project is for a DVD.

I hope you're able to help a poor new Mac user
Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: WMV - why can't I edit, and what to convert to?
on Dec 29, 2011 at 9:02:09 pm

Use Compressor or MPEG STREAMCLIP to convert them to DV if they are SD file sized( meaning 720x480) or to ProRes if they are HD file sized (1920x1080 or 1280x720). If they have odd dimensions like 320x240 or 800x600, you will have to convert them to DV or HD with broadcast dimensions (the 720x480 or 1280x720), because that is what FCP works with. Broadcast formats with broadcast dimensions.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Wierling
on Dec 29, 2011 at 9:07:42 pm

Not sure what version of FCP you are using, but if you can open them in Quicktime, you can resave them or export them within Quicktime to a .mov file. The .mov file should import into FCP where you can then edit. Upon completing the edit, export from FCP using current settings to create a full res master of your finished edit.
From there, use compressor to import your master and select to encode for DVD.

Return to posts index

Samuel Féron
on Dec 30, 2011 at 1:20:21 am

At last! Some progress in my project!
The DV setting 720x480 seems to work nicely. Choose this because of the odd dimensions, as Shane said. Despite of the big increase in filesize, the quality of the result is nearly indifferent.
It was not possible to export trough Quicktime because of this problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3227887?start=0&tstart=0
Nevertheless, Compressor did the job nicely, even though it's going to take some time for me to convert all my wmv files that individually fill up to nearly 2 GB :(
I'll export to Compressor from FCP with the same DV setting, as you recommended. I can't wait. Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]