FORUMS: list search recent posts

converting 59.94 to 23.98 looks choppy

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Throck
converting 59.94 to 23.98 looks choppy
on Dec 28, 2011 at 6:21:59 pm

Is there a way to convert to 23.98 without slowing down the footage and not looking choppy? It should look a little stroby but what I'm getting is very jagged and hard to watch.

I've tried putting the clip in a 23.98 timeline in FCP and using compressor and I get the same results everywhere.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: converting 59.94 to 23.98 looks choppy
on Dec 28, 2011 at 9:23:53 pm

Was the original footage shot 24p with pulldown inserted? I am guessing not, and that it's actually 59.94 fields per second. The best conversion you can get going to 23.976 will be with hardware such as Teranex VC100. In software land, you can get pretty good results with Compressor, but you need to make sure you turn on the Optical Flow Motion Compensation. That is accessible using Frame Controls - turn Frame Controls ON and choose BEST for Retiming. That will allow Compressor to analyze the frames as a sequence, blend them together, and remove what it intelligently 'thinks' can be removed. The results can be extremely usable or just not, so it's good to choose a couple of short sections to test. If you need help designing an encoding preset, let me know.

Return to posts index

Mike Throck
Re: converting 59.94 to 23.98 looks choppy
on Dec 28, 2011 at 9:47:16 pm

This is very helpful thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]