FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting "Out of Disk Space" message

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Herriott
Getting "Out of Disk Space" message
on Dec 28, 2011 at 4:51:10 pm

I have a 92 minute sequence, shot in HD, that I'm trying to export as a QT movie. I have 34 GB of space on my hard drive and, yet, I'm getting the error message. Is it possible it needs more than 34 GB or could there be another cause?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Getting "Out of Disk Space" message
on Dec 28, 2011 at 5:22:45 pm

A few things you need to consider Scott...

First, you haven't mentioned what codec you're trying to export to, so calculating the disk space required cannot be done.

And, you must always consider the following factors when you fill a drive so close to total capacity.

1) Whenever exporting a file, a temp file is written first, and that essentially means that you need the space for two files, not just one.

2) The empty space is not contiguous, especially when nearly full, it's instead tiny tracts of empty space that the OS must find and write to individually, thus slowing the process to a comparative crawl.

Most here export a self contained file first, then use that as a master to create web delivery files and MPEG2 encodes for DVDs. It's much quicker, and less prone to issues. You should do that too, but first clear some space on that drive or get a new one.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Scott Herriott
Re: Getting "Out of Disk Space" message
on Dec 28, 2011 at 5:25:46 pm

Thanks David...excellent detailed advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]