FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Error out of memory" issue, and I can't change wrong editing timebase setting...FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Natteau
"Error out of memory" issue, and I can't change wrong editing timebase setting...FCP7
on Dec 28, 2011 at 1:22:57 am

I have an FCP 7 sequence that took me a while to cut. The problem is that the "editing timebase" reads 29.97 when it should read 59.94. Could this have anything to do with the message "Error: Out of memory". I have several hundred GB free on my hard drive. And I deleted all my rendering history in other sequences. But essentially the whole sequence is rendered except for a tiny slice that I can't seem to render.

When I try to create a new blank sequence with the correct editing time base of 59.94 and then copy and paste my footage from the original sequence (with incorrect timecode of 29.97), everything is out of whack timeline wise in the new sequence: voice over all along the sequence is out of place.

Looking forward to anyone's feedback. Unable to resolve this issue so far.

Please see pics of issue here: http://gallery.me.com/nn00#100225

Return to posts index

stephen dixon
Re: "Error out of memory" issue, and I can't change wrong editing timebase setting...FCP7
on Dec 28, 2011 at 12:55:31 pm

Firstly, memory has nothing at all to do with how much space you have on the hard drive. You seriously need to read a basic guide on how computers work if you're making that kind of mistake.

But it's probably not the issue anyway: the "error out of memory" thing often pops up when you have large images in your timeline. If you have any big (over 4k pixels wide) pictures in the timeline, scale them down in an image editor (If you need them really big in order to zoom into them use motion or another program to do it).

As far as the timebase thing goes, yes you need to create a new sequence with no clips in it and copy and paste (or you can cut all the clips out of the sequence, change the timebase and paste, but that leaves you with no original copy if it all goes to custard). If there are timing issues once you do that you will probably have to correct them manually. Why are you needing to change it?

Return to posts index

Nick Natteau
Re: "Error out of memory" issue, and I can't change wrong editing timebase setting...FCP7
on Dec 29, 2011 at 4:29:48 am

Hi Stephan,

Thanks very much. Regarding the images, I did not know that it was better to use Motion for any Ken Burn style effects. I always used FCP to do all my animated zooms and pans and never encountered any problems. But yes, it could be because I'm now working with much higher res stills.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the best photo format to use when zooming on stills or compositing? There are so many image formats out there, I'm not sure which one to I should be using for HD video: Photoshop, Tiff, Pct, png??? I'm sure any of these will be better than jpeg format. But which image format would you recommend for animating/compositing inside Motion or FCP?

My original project was done in SD (480i) but I planned to up-converted everything to HD 720p60. I now think I should have upconverted to 1080i29.97 instead of 720p60. But 1080i seemed to be too much of an up-conversion with WWII footage that already looked soft when up-converted to 720.

I up-converted most of my clips via hardware (Matrox MXO 2) to 720p60. But strangely it's only my voice over that seems to cut out everywhere along the A1 (voice over) track in the 720p60 timeline. But this issue only occurs in the 720p60 timeline. Not in the 480i 29.97 timeline.

Thanks for any further advice you can give me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]