FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 basic questions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Lasdon
FCP 7 basic questions
on Dec 26, 2011 at 8:06:07 pm

I'm using Final Cut Pro 7 on my new laptop and I'd like to thank everyone who helped me navigate through the issues with Lion.

I have a few things that I can't figure out how to do and Googling doesn't turn up the answer to my specific questions. So I hope you guys don't mind me asking them.

1. How do you export a five minute (or any size) sequence of the film? I have over an hour in the timeline, but I don't want to export the whole thing, just different parts at a time.

2. Why is it when I move a clip from one timeline to another it ends up with a screwy aspect ratio and all smushed?

3. When I open up the file it takes an hour before it's found all the movie data and is ready for me to use. Is this normal with a big file?

4. When I try to use voice over in my main timeline I get "Insufficient memory. Specify a smaller recording range, quit any unused application..." Yet I can do the voice over in a separate timeline.

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: FCP 7 basic questions
on Dec 26, 2011 at 9:36:36 pm

1. How do you export a five minute (or any size) sequence of the film? I have over an hour in the timeline, but I don't want to export the whole thing, just different parts at a time.

You set an "In" (i) and a "Out" (o) point.

2. Why is it when I move a clip from one timeline to another it ends up with a screwy aspect ratio and all smushed?

The other sequence has a different settings. Verify sequence settings. Change the distort properties of the clips if needed.

3. When I open up the file it takes an hour before it's found all the movie data and is ready for me to use. Is this normal with a big file?

A large project can take some time to open, Bigger/newer/faster machine/hard drive will do better.

4. When I try to use voice over in my main timeline I get "Insufficient memory. Specify a smaller recording range, quit any unused application..." Yet I can do the voice over in a separate timeline.

Sounds like a playback issue. What hard drive are you using for your media? With a laptop for editing you should have at the least - an external FW800 hard drive or raid. or a SATA adapter feeding a hard drive or raid or best would be Thunderbolt raid hooked up. Media off your internal OS drive is never good.

Specs are needed to trouble shoot like:

Sequence settings?
Media settings?
Hard drive/raid setup?
I/O card?
External Monitor viewing?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 26, 2011 at 11:09:27 pm

3. "Find movie in file?" do you have QT reference movies in the project? Not self contained, but reference? That can cause this. Don't do that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave Lasdon
on Dec 26, 2011 at 11:24:34 pm

The first two solved the problems. Thank you.

I have P2 footage that is converted into Quicktime files that are sourced. I don't think there's any way around it other than creating large self-contained Quicktime files from them. The problem is that then my timeline clips wouldn't match those clips and I'd have to start over.

I have two external hard drives that are daisy chained with FW800. The sheer amount of media that I have, nearly 2 TB, precludes using an internal drive.

My computer is a brand new Mac Book Pro 15 inch with the following configuration:

2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display

Return to posts index

Dave Lasdon
on Dec 27, 2011 at 3:34:07 am

How do I get time codes on my output?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Dec 27, 2011 at 11:24:20 am

Video filter - time-code reader.
Drop it on your clips.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Dave Lasdon
on Jan 2, 2012 at 7:53:02 pm

That gave me the time code of where the piece I took is in the clip, not where it is in my movie. I want my timecode on there.

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Dec 27, 2011 at 12:46:08 pm

[Chris Tompkins] "4. When I try to use voice over in my main timeline I get "Insufficient memory. Specify a smaller recording range, quit any unused application..." Yet I can do the voice over in a separate timeline.
"

When you do a voice over the audio media is stored in the machines ram until you hit stop when it is moved onto your media disk.
With a long timeline fcp allocates enough memory for the whole timeline (it assumes you are going to voice over in one go!) If you do not have enough memory it gives the above error.

Just put an out on the timeline some where downstream and hope your talent needs to stop before it!

Steve

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 2, 2012 at 7:56:26 pm

Then, Time-Code Generator.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Dave Lasdon
on Jan 2, 2012 at 8:09:28 pm

Time Code generator starts the timecode over with each clip and I can't seem to do more than one clip at a time.

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Jan 3, 2012 at 12:06:01 pm

The time code generator does start from zero when added to each clip. (note you do need to set the frame rate manually it doesn't automatically pick up the source frame rate)

To read and display in vision (BITC) the original code of each clip you need to add a time code reader effect to each segment.

if you want the timeline timecode of your sequence displayed in vision you need to drop your sequence into a new sequence and add the effect to that.
(You can also add a generator effect to the whole new sequence if that what is what you want.)

Double clicking on this new sequence opens the original sequence for modification.
If you want to change any of the top level effects added to the final sequence, cntrl-click and select "open in viewer"

Steve

Return to posts index

Rana Yousif
on Jun 24, 2013 at 9:43:18 am

When i export my video to Quick time and then burn to DVD some of the clip has been vibrated.
i don't know how to solve this problem i used many way to export and the same problme happened.
please help me with this issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]