FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to fix an edit which has multiple frame rates

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randal Plunkett
How to fix an edit which has multiple frame rates
on Dec 24, 2011 at 8:05:32 pm

Hi there, I signed onto a film as an editor and before the production started I gave the producer my preferred settings for them to shoot on. I asked them since they were shooting on canon dslrs, they were to shoot 25 frames, Pal format. I finished the rough cut of the film. So I decided to put all of it on a single time line since I edited till then scene by scene. When I put it on the timeline, things popped out of sync!!! After reviewing the footage with a tooth comb so to speak, I discovered that the idiots decided to shoot parts of the film in 23.97 frames rather then just 25 frames through out . Now after some rather feeble attempts to fix it by just clicking slip into sync button etc I have given up as it does not work. Please some one tell me that I dont have to start over and go back and reconvert all the bad footage again!!!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to fix an edit which has multiple frame rates
on Dec 24, 2011 at 8:10:41 pm

Sorry, but yes you do have to match the frame rates on all the offending footage.

You can conform COPIES of the 23.976 clips to 25 fps using Cinema tools. If these clips have sync sound, it gets trickier.

Then give those film school doofuses a hearty Dope Slap for shooting at the incorrect frame rate.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Randal Plunkett
on Dec 24, 2011 at 8:15:46 pm

Thanks alot Dave for answering my question so fast, do you think if I do all that I can just simply try and retach the files on the timeline? or do you think it will be a mess and things will go off sync still

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 24, 2011 at 8:45:54 pm

Sorry, but I don't think you can do that. You REALLY want to conform copies of those clips, and pray to God there is no sync sound.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Randal Plunkett
on Dec 24, 2011 at 10:34:14 pm

Thanks Dave your a star, I l try and do that

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Dec 25, 2011 at 5:42:51 am

If there is sync sound, this might work to get the audio to sound right. Do a test clip and see if it helps.

http://philipbloom.net/2009/05/30/how-to-convert-canon-5dmk2-footage-from-3...

It worked for me when I shot on the 5D way back when before the firmware patch for 24p. It's a bit convoluted, but worked.

http://www.tulpapictures.com
Twitter: @tulpapictures
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tulpapictures

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.8
FCS2
CS5
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5 Dual Mini-SAS
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
RocketRAID 4322 via dual MiniSAS