FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to slow down a video gradually from 100% down to 0%

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Bracken
How to slow down a video gradually from 100% down to 0%
on Dec 24, 2011 at 4:48:08 pm

Sometimes in news we need to have a video run full speed and then instead of keep showing the video or cutting to black we reduce the video from 100% to 90% to 80% all the way down to 0% so there is a lot of "tail" on the end of the video.

Typically we do this for Sound-on-tape and at the end of the bite we leave the video running for the director to cut away from the shot.

Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to slow down a video gradually from 100% down to 0%
on Dec 24, 2011 at 8:03:13 pm

I work at a TV station. I know how newsies work. I know how newsies think. To do this, you need a deck that can do dynamic tracking, and it appears you've either lost yours or you're about to.

Otherwise, you face one of three choices:
1) Take it to a production house. Not practical when the video gets back to the shop at 4 and the story airs at 5.
2) Use software to slow it down, which is a very tricky thing, especially if you want a gradual slow-down. Editing applications aren't built for that. It also needs to be done on a case-by-case basis. Again, not very practical when the video gets back to the shop at 4 and the story airs at 5.
3) Since it appears you can no longer rely on decks with dynamic tracking to pull off this trick, come up with a new plan to pad out the tails of your stories.

Option 3 sounds best to me.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Robert Bracken
on Dec 25, 2011 at 2:53:02 am

I meant to post this in Final Cut Pro. I'll do just that.
Thanks for your help.

-Bobby

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 27, 2011 at 10:18:00 pm

Um, this IS the Final Cut Pro forum, which should tell you a bit about the job you want to automate.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]