FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV to SD DVD Compressor Settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach Hammel - Shaver
HDV to SD DVD Compressor Settings
on Dec 23, 2011 at 8:37:32 pm

Hi All,

So after spending days reading about different workflows for HD video I've come to the conclusion that there is not one best or right way to do it. This has been a frustrating and liberating revelation.

My question is what is a good way to get my 63 min HDV FCP project onto a Dual Layer DVD R.

Here are my details.

I'm in FCS 2 and all my sequences have been round tripped through Soundtrack Pro if that makes a difference.

Shot on a Canon HV30 at 1440 X 1080 29.97 fps. I edited using a HDV 1080i60 codec.

Here are my sequence settings.

However when I exported the final project using a self contained QT movie (11.74 GB) the Audio slowly falls out of sync. After reading many of these forums, I learned that the HDV 1080i60 codec has a syncing issue with longer projects. So I made a version of the project with the Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) sequence codec.

I exported that as a self contained QT movie and the audio is synced but the file size is now 83.4 GB.

Is there a better way to get a smaller self contained QT file out of FCP?
If not what compressor settings should I use to get the best quality DVD of that file?
Do I need to worry about de-interlacing at all?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: HDV to SD DVD Compressor Settings
on Dec 23, 2011 at 9:18:12 pm

Are you burning a DVD that will play in a DVD player or a DATA DVD?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Zach Hammel - Shaver
on Dec 23, 2011 at 9:31:26 pm

Play in a DVD player.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 23, 2011 at 9:42:29 pm

[Zach Hammel - Shaver] "So after spending days reading about different workflows for HD video I've come to the conclusion that there is not one best or right way to do it. This has been a frustrating and liberating revelation."

There are correct ways of editing with HD. If people can work in 4K, HD editing should be simple if done correctly. HDV is a very difficult codec to work with. So is the very compressed h.264 codec. Codecs such as DVCPro HD and ProRes are VERY EASY to work with.

[Zach Hammel - Shaver] "I exported that as a self contained QT movie and the audio is synced but the file size is now 83.4 GB."

This is normal. You could have changed it to standard ProRes and it would have been smaller while maintaing the same quality. Drop that file into DVDSP and create a Dual Layer DVD.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Zach Hammel - Shaver
on Dec 23, 2011 at 9:56:26 pm

Thanks for the advice Steve.

So in conclusion you would recommend changing the sequence codec to Apple ProRes 442 Non HQ and exporting to a self contained QT file. Then taking that directly into DVDSP. So I don't need compressor at all?

Do I need to worry about de-interlacing at all with this?

So in the future would you recommend capturing using ProRes 442?

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 23, 2011 at 10:18:52 pm

Why do you want to put it on a Dual Layer DVD?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Zach Hammel - Shaver
on Dec 23, 2011 at 10:27:10 pm

I figured there would be less quality loss pushing a 83.4 GB file to a 8.5 Duel layer DVD then to a 4.7 GB single-sided DVD.

Is that thinking wrong?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 23, 2011 at 10:45:48 pm

[Zach Hammel - Shaver] "I figured there would be less quality loss pushing a 83.4 GB file to a 8.5 Duel layer DVD then to a 4.7 GB single-sided DVD.

Is that thinking wrong?"

No! But, you are over-thinking.

1.5 to 2-hour movies are routinely encoded and authored to DVD-5s.

Don't be concerned with the file size of the original master, it's the length of the program that really matters. DVDs are highly compressed, so whether you start with a giant uncompressed HD master, or just a DV master, both will ultimately get compressed enough to fit on a DVD-5, as long as the running time isn't over two-hours.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Dec 23, 2011 at 11:00:49 pm

[Zach Hammel - Shaver] "I figured there would be less quality loss pushing a 83.4 GB file to a 8.5 Duel layer DVD then to a 4.7 GB single-sided DVD."

It's not necessary to put it onto a dual layer. The maximum bitrate you should be using for DVD is 7.5 anyway, and your 63 min video should easily fit onto a single layer at that bitrate. I recommend going through Compressor rather than just dropping your QT movie into DVDSP. Use the '90 minute Best Quality' template as a starting point and adjust the bitrate setting to 7.5. Bring the results of that (both audio and video files) into DVDSP and make sure you don't make a HD-DVD. As well, if your end result is for playback on a TV you don't need to worry about de-interlacing... that's only for playback on a computer.

Keep in mind DVDs are SD only. If you start out with HD footage, don't expect to see HD quality pictures on your final DVD.

HTH

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 23, 2011 at 11:15:32 pm

Yeah, you can fit it on a DVD-5 just fine. DVDSP doesn't handle the layer break the best anyways. Beside, I would guess that your video would only take up one layer anyways.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Zach Hammel - Shaver
on Dec 24, 2011 at 4:49:17 am

Thank you all for the advise.

I'm exporting a self contained ProRes 442 version as we speak and will run that through the compressor as Gary stated then go to DVDSP.

Thanks again and have a good Christmas or any other holiday you're into!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 24, 2011 at 9:31:16 pm

[Zach Hammel - Shaver] "I'm exporting a self contained ProRes 442 version as we speak..."

Just to be anal-retentive and to possibly lend a little levity to the thread, it's ProRes 422.

The only 442 I'm aware of was a muscle car made by Oldsmobile in the late '60's - early '70's.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Zach Hammel - Shaver
on Dec 25, 2011 at 5:59:07 am

Dave I actually LOLed at that. I'm dyslexic so I do have a bit of an excuse. But thanks for the clarity.
I'm a bit anal-retentive myself.

Return to posts index

Zach Hammel - Shaver
on Jan 3, 2012 at 5:00:46 pm

Hi All,

So from all your help I was able to make very good progress over the holiday.
I successfully got my movie onto a dvd at what I think is passable quality with the sound in sync.

So now my next question is what settings should I mess with in Compressor to pull the best quality posible. I believe the compressed file size I put on the last DVD was 3.3 GB So I think there's a little room to play.

Also if I want to make a DVD formated for wide screen is this posible and where in compressor would I do this.

Thanks,
I hope you all had a great New Years.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 3, 2012 at 5:31:04 pm

If you bring an HD file into compressor and use one of the default DVD settings it will keep your video 16x9. If you click on the Encoder button you will see the Aspect Ratio is 16:9. Then when you bring it into DVDSP you can choose how you want it to be seen. Bring the Mpeg2 into the Track and then click on the Track option. Under the General Tab you can choose the Display mode, I hate Pan & Scan so I choose "16:9 Letterbox". If you play the DVD on a 4:3 TV it will add black bars on the top and bottom. If you play it on a 16:9 TV it will play in the 16:9 aspect ratio so it feels the screen. It is really cool. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]