FORUMS: list search recent posts

Harding FPA problems

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arran Essex
Harding FPA problems
on Dec 23, 2011 at 8:05:40 am

I have a load of animations that have failed a HardingFPA PSE test for luminance flashes, and I was hoping that some one knew a creative filter / plugin for FCP that I can use to fix the errors.

I've got 26 episodes all ingested to FCP via HD Legaliser, I then dropped each file into FCP and used the broadcast safe (with the levels clamped at 100%) and then exported each file again, but unfortunately its still failing.

I've tried using the strobe filter with some success but when i put it up to 5 which fixes the problem the shots look terrible.

Any help would be great

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
Re: Harding FPA problems
on Dec 23, 2011 at 11:46:00 am

you need a report for the areas of problems with timecode

then
if its
  • a red flash reduce red
  • a luminance flash take down the contrast in the image with a colour corrector
  • pattern effect just try reducing contrast or apply motion blur in the motion tab
  • if you can do then just make the pictures look flat

whatever you do, just remember to have some way to dissolve in and out of the section

if you have timecodes then you should be able to resubmit those small sections until its all correct and not pay for the larger file/tapes

also why may I ask are you playing in through a legaliser, this is a final step when outputting to tape, if its file based consider using the legaliser in apple color its much more nice looking clippping

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Dec 23, 2011 at 9:34:14 pm

For luminance flashes, you need to find the cuts (or effects) where they happen and reduce the brightness on the higher luminance shot and increase the brightness on the darker shot, to bring the change in brightness below the threshold of what constitutes a flash. The occasional flash is ok, 3 in a second is a fail. I don't know of any filter that'll do that for you.

I spent a few months preparing all the VT play-ins to a pop music show called CD:UK and we ended up putting a "Flash Gordon" (a more basic version of PSE test than the HardingFPA) in the edit suite as I had to fix something every week, even videos from very successful bands were sometimes unbroadcastable in the state they were sent to us, and although you can roughly get your eye in with a bit of practice, it saved a lot of time to use a proper flash tester.

Return to posts index

Jakub Mech
on Jul 13, 2012 at 3:52:29 pm

He guys,
We have just launched a website where you can test your video for broadcast compliance (OfCom, ITU recommendations) - using HFPA system.

This website is built for editors and small post production comapanies who don't have their own Harding FPA system.

Just upload your files amd wait for the results - 100% online (24h/7days ).

Enjoy!

Return to posts index

Omar Mehra
on Jul 16, 2012 at 12:22:13 pm

[Jakub Mech] "Just upload your files amd wait for the results - 100% online (24h/7days ).

Enjoy!"

Hi Jakob,

but where? :-)

Thanks,
OM

Return to posts index

Jakub Mech
on Jul 16, 2012 at 1:29:58 pm

Hi Omar,

Always it's good to leave an address ;)
here you go: