Hello everyone. Happy Holidays.
I wanted to ask some advice. I have been doing some tests with the Sennheiser ew100 g3. I bought the unit recently in the hopes of using it to give me a feed from the DJ to my camera for events. My results have been poor. So I am figuring it's a setting I have wrong either on the unit or my camera. I am running a Panasonic. HPX170. When the music is playing the audio is coming in fluctuating up and down. Is there anything in FCP that I could do to correct that Fluxuation?
Thanks in advance.
I use something similar (Sony version) to this for event video.
Personally, i've never had any problems with my set up (other than super hot levels). Your camera is acting as an audio recorder, so camera make/model/brand doesn't really make that much difference in terms of operability (The 170 has xlr inputs, so it SHOULD work fine). It really comes down to making sure you have proper audio signal flow.
How do you have everything hooked up? Being as overly specific as you can will enable a possible troubleshoot.
Thanks for the response. Here is how I have set it up for each testing session. I have both the receiver, and transmitter set to "0" so there is no gain applied or taken away from the signal the transmitter receives from the DJ mixers out. They are giving me 2 RCA's out stereo. I then connect from their RCA to stereo mini into the transmitter. I hope this helps to help me. Thanks again
First, you need to remember that this is only one channel. As such, it is a MONO source. In other words, getting an actual stereo signal (from DJ, house board, etc.) is kinda pointless, because it's just going to combine them into one channel to transmit anyway.
That being said...the best way to use this setup is to get yourself an XLR to 1/4 inch turnaround adapter, like this one:
I connect this to the microphone Plug-In Transmitter, and use that for transmission (not the bodypack transmitter). 95% of the time, it can just go in the audio board's headphone out (the other 5%, the dj/band is using the headphone out, and it just goes in one the Main outs...usually Mono Out Left.)
Usually the signal is way too hot coming straight from the board, so I usually set the transmitter attenuation down around -12dB (ish). This would give some control of the levels at the camera.
With this set up, you should get exactly what the DJ is sending to their speakers. Like I said, I've never had any issues....unless you count being too far away from the transmitter, or the levels being too hot. :-)