FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut, Multiple Frame Rates.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean D'Angelo
Final Cut, Multiple Frame Rates.
on Dec 22, 2011 at 9:06:30 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to Final Cut and I want to composite two animated clips with different frame rates into one video file (a chroma keyed foreground clip of an insect flying playing at around 50-70 fps, and background fly-though playing at 24fps).

Is it possible for FCP to play layered tracks at separate frame rates and then render them at the same speed (final output should be 24fps), or will cut frames out of my foreground/make it move in slow motion?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut, Multiple Frame Rates.
on Dec 22, 2011 at 11:08:32 pm

FCP stinks at mixing frame rates. It just does.

But know, if you have a 24fps sequence, and drop in something that is 50-70fps...FCP will remove frames and have it play at whatever speed it plays at now (1 sec will be 1 sec), only with less frames. So if you shot 50fps for 10 seconds, FCP will still play it for 10 seconds, real time, and remove frames. And not smoothly.

If you want it to be slow motion, you need to conform the footage in Cinema Tools. DUPLICATE THE FOOTAGE FIRST! This is a "destructive" behaviour. Meaning, it modifies the original file, and you can't conform it back.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sean D'Angelo
Re: Final Cut, Multiple Frame Rates.
on Dec 23, 2011 at 12:55:12 am

Thanks for the response. Shucks. I'll try conforming in Cinema Tools then, and if that doesn't work try using snapz pro to re-record the original footage at a lower frame rate (though I understand FCP doesn't handle snapz footage well either).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved