FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080 into 720 Timeline FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Roemer
1080 into 720 Timeline FCP X
on Dec 22, 2011 at 4:06:56 am

I'm having an issue when I try to bring 1080 Canon HDSLR footage into a 720 Timeline in FCP X - The footage doesn't seem to see itself as 1080 footage.

IOW, if I make a 720 timeline, bring 1080 footage into from the the Event Library, set Spatial Conform to "None" the footage just stays the same size in the timeline frame. If I use the transform tool it starts at 100% and enlarging the image just goes above 100%. (It's not starting at 66% and the going up from there.)

I recently made some time-lapse sequences via Quicktime and those brought into FCP X do behave correctly. When I bring those into a timeline and select "none" in Spatial Conform that act as they should.

Don't know if this is an issue with the Canon DSLR movie files or if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: 1080 into 720 Timeline FCP X
on Dec 22, 2011 at 7:14:26 am

Spatial conform only works if you set it before you put the footage in the timeline. Even if you don't set it to "none", you can scale the footage anyway. But as you noted it will read 100% when you start. Going up to 133.3% with the spatial conform set to "fit", is the same as 100% when the spatial conform is set to "none".

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Jon Roemer
on Dec 22, 2011 at 2:56:19 pm

Jason - thanks for your reply.

FWIW, I'm not finding things to work in FCP X quite that way.

-If I make a 720 timeline. Take my 1080 clip and set Spatial Conform "None" and then drag it into the timeline. It still doesn't show a 1:1 pixel mapping.

-I don't know why it behaves differently but when I did this working with a time-lapse, in that case the video is huge, each clip is 4896 x 3264 px, it did work properly. IOW, I could set the Spatial Conform to "None" and it would jump to 1:1 pixel mapping allowing me to have a sense of how much I could enlarge the image without losing quality.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Dec 22, 2011 at 5:44:19 pm

[Jon Roemer] "-If I make a 720 timeline. Take my 1080 clip and set Spatial Conform "None" and then drag it into the timeline. It still doesn't show a 1:1 pixel mapping."

That is strange. I do this with almost every project I edit. If you scale it to 133.3% does it still look sharp?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Jon Roemer
on Dec 22, 2011 at 6:26:01 pm

More or less but I ran a test on the time-lapse project. With that there was a noticeable difference between SC:None vs. SC:Fit + transforming to enlarge image within the frame.

Made me wonder if there was a noticeable difference with dslr video. But since I can't get it to behave properly it's hard to know.

Are you using FCP or FCP X?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Dec 22, 2011 at 6:28:39 pm

[Jon Roemer] "Are you using FCP or FCP X?"

I've been talking about FCPX, which is what I use.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Jon Roemer
on Dec 22, 2011 at 6:30:31 pm

Me, too.

Return to posts index

Jon Roemer
on Dec 22, 2011 at 6:39:20 pm

I just figured it out I think. The issue is with Synchronized Clips.

If I take a clip that is in my Event Library but straight from the camera, set it to SC:None, and bring it into the 720P timeline it is immediately at 1:1 pixel mapping. I can even drag it into the timeline at SC:Fit and change it to SC:None after it is in the timeline.

If I do the same with the Synchronized Clips it doesn't work. There is no change in size relative to the timeline.

Return to posts index

Jon Roemer
on Dec 23, 2011 at 12:02:06 am

More info: the issue is compound clips as opposed to specifically synchronized clips.

Basically, a compound clip is stuck at "Spatial Conform: Fit". "None" has no effect.

Since a synchronized clip is a compound clip then it is affected as well.

Is this a bug or a known limitation of a compound clip?

As a work around I just tried syncing sound via the Plural Eyes beta. That works and it allows you to keep sound and video separate. So, no compound clip and thus you can put a 1080 sync'd clip into a 720 timeline and set the Spatial Conform to "none".

I am also seeing noticeable difference between a file done this way vs. the other way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]