FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gradiant B/G Banding When Exported to H264

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt M, PA
Gradiant B/G Banding When Exported to H264
on Dec 22, 2011 at 2:37:45 am

I produced a graphic in Motion that had a gradient background via the gradient generator. It imported fine in FCP, in a couple different settings.

However, when exported to send to the stations, who demand h264, this gradient becomes banded. I tried changing some settings...to no avail.

I am exporting via Quicktime conversion in FCP7. (Perhaps I should be using Compressor?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Gradiant B/G Banding When Exported to H264
on Dec 22, 2011 at 7:16:42 am

Well, when you "compress" to H.264, you are throwing away data...you are compressing the image so that it takes up less space. This means that some artifacting of some kind will happen.

10-bit formats are less compressed than 8-bit formats. They don't show banding like 8-bit formats do. 8-bit is more compressed than 10-bit.

H.264 is more compressed than ProRes...so artifacting will happen.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on Dec 22, 2011 at 9:19:47 am

What settings did you use and
What settings did the station ask for?

Return to posts index

Matt M, PA
on Dec 22, 2011 at 1:13:55 pm

I figured the compression could be at least part of the issue.

The settings I used were: 1920x1080, h.264, high quality, yes to frame re-ordering, multi-pass, 29.97 frames, auto data rate.

Most, if not all the stations have requested the 1920x1080, h.264, frame rate. Some have suggested a data rate of 45-50 Mbps. My thinking is that this would be 50,000kb in FCP...so I tried that too. It still left the slider in the "high" quality area...not in "best" so I assumed...and could not see that it was any better.

FWIW, my :30 finished file size is 63mb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]