FORUMS: list search recent posts

wav file playback slipping out of sync

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ceri Allen
wav file playback slipping out of sync
on Dec 21, 2011 at 9:13:10 pm

Hi

I am a bit stumped with an audio issue, and audio is not my field so I would appreciate some help.

I have edited a 1 hour show in FCP, exported a quicktime movie and OMFs for the dub house.
From the dub house I have received a stereo .wav file then I then lay back to my pictures.

This has been the workflow for the previous 3 episodes and worked fine.

For the 4th episode the stereo wav that I am matching to my pictures slips out of sync gradually. I have spoken with the dub house and they are 100% certain that it syncs up all the way through when they check it.

When I look at the waveform in FCP the waveform actually matches that of the original quicktime audio so theoretically it looks in sync. When I play it back what I can hear from the wav is playing out of sync with both the pictures, the original audio from the quicktime movie and the waveform for the stereo wav that I am seeing visually!!!!!

I have tested it on FCP on my edit suite at work and my own laptop at home and it happens with both. I have also tried converting the wav to an quicktime file (audio only) and this makes no difference.

To give you the info:

pictures are: apple pro res 422, 1920x1080, 25fps
OMFs were made at 16 bit 48KHz.
Wav file from dub house is 16 bit 48KHz
Timeline settings in FCP are: Apple pro res 422, 1920x1080, 25fps, 48Kz, 16-bit

Thanks!!!!!

Return to posts index

Ceri Allen
Re: wav file playback slipping out of sync
on Dec 21, 2011 at 9:35:51 pm

Also just to add I have discovered that if I change the speed of this wav file to 99.9% on my FCP timeline then it syncs up fine. Don't know if this helps shed any light on why/where the problem is.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Dec 22, 2011 at 3:21:55 am

It sounds like you might have imported the wav file with the wrong settings in place. My tutorial describes the proper workflow to avoid these sync issues:

http://library.creativecow.net/lyon_matt/fixing-fcp-assets/1

see the second half (after the xml stuff).

hth,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Ceri Allen
on Dec 22, 2011 at 3:47:38 pm

Thanks.

That worked. I just set my presets and brought the wav back in and it synced up fine. Did an XML to check it was NTSC FALSE and timebase 25. All good, thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]