FORUMS: list search recent posts

strangest thing I have ever seen

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Javier Diaz
strangest thing I have ever seen
on Dec 21, 2011 at 3:52:24 pm

Hello all, I am having a problem with FCP 7 when I am trying to go to tape. I have tried 3 different decks/formats (digi-beta, XDCAM and SP), and two separate systems.

The problem is with the timecode, it is not accurate to the sequence, it is 2 frames late by the time I get to the 1hr mark and gets worse, by the end of the show I am 5 seconds long. All decks and sequences were in drop frame and 29.97.

My theory is that it has to do with the original clips being captured at 10-bit uncompressed. When I started editing the show I decided to keep my seq. the same to avoid rendering, mistake #1 I know. I have tried bouncing out movies and converting to prores 422, and that goes to tape fine, the only problem is that the actual Prores movie is 3 seconds and 18f long, although my audio files from Pro Tools remain in sync. PLEASE HELP! Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: strangest thing I have ever seen
on Dec 21, 2011 at 3:57:05 pm

Do you understand the difference between drop-frame and non-drop-frame time code?

Return to posts index

Javier Diaz
on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:00:31 pm

Thanks for your response, and yes, I have been doing this a long time.
Although it sounds like that is the issue, it's not, all sequences and decks are in drop frame

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:32:29 pm

[Javier Diaz] "...all sequences and decks are in drop frame..."

...which means that you're seeing drop-frame time code. Is some of the footage in NON drop frame?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Javier Diaz
on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:42:26 pm

All the raw footage is 29.97.

I just bounced out a self-contained quicktime and it is 3seconds and 18 frames long. This is very confusing

Return to posts index

Javier Diaz
on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:47:04 pm

All the raw footage is 29.97

Return to posts index

Tony Alznauer
on Dec 21, 2011 at 6:52:48 pm

I've run into this before: If your sequence was non-drop and you switched it to drop after putting in media, sometimes the switch won't take.

The solution was to create a new drop frame sequence then copy the media into it. Your edit may be too long now but at least the TC will be accurate.

Return to posts index

Javier Diaz
on Dec 21, 2011 at 7:30:31 pm

Thanks for the responses. I have made new sequences and also made entirely new projects, same result. I did however find a solution. Like I said, I made a self contained quicktime that was 3.18 long. i made a new seq., marked an in and out that was the correct length of the show and did a fit to fill edit and everything lined up perfectly. My clip was sped up to 100.10%...don't ask me why, but it all works now and the show is on tape.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]