FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cleaning up a Messy FCP Computer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Watkins
Cleaning up a Messy FCP Computer
on Dec 20, 2011 at 11:41:43 pm

Hello there, I took a look at one of our client's FCP rigs and was shocked at the lack of organization. There are Capture Scratch folders everywhere. So, what is the best way to organize this stuff? I am from the Avid world where media lives within one folder per drive. Is that what I should do with FCP? Put all the media in a Capture Scratch folder at the root of the drive? Then point each project to that folder when opening? Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Cleaning up a Messy FCP Computer
on Dec 20, 2011 at 11:50:52 pm

I make one main folder for each project I am working on, and then target that as the CAPTURE SCRATCH (and I need to change the Capture Scratch when I open new or different projects). In that main folder I make subfolders for FOOTAGE, AUDIO, STILLS, GRAPHICS...whatever catagories I need. This way, when I want to archive a project, I archive the whole folder.

I have a tutorial DVD for how to be organized in FCP 7...6...5...all the legacy versions basically. If you are interested. Made specifically because I worked on a machine that was every bit of the mess you described.

http://store.creativecow.net/p/63/getting_organized_in_final_cut_pro

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jason Watkins
on Dec 21, 2011 at 12:10:04 am

Thanks Shane, to be certain, is there a Capture Scratch folder in the project folder? Also, is that where you keep your project file? Also again, your DVD is sold out. Congrats.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 21, 2011 at 12:30:43 am

[Jason Watkins] " is there a Capture Scratch folder in the project folder?"

Inside the main project folder, I make a folder I call CAPTURES AND RENDERS. When I target that as the Capture Scratch, the subfolders are made inside...Renders, Capture Scratch, Audio Renders. I tend to capture to that folder, and then move to the FOOTAGE folder. Or leave it there. Up to you.

[Jason Watkins] "Also, is that where you keep your project file?"

On the main system drive. And then I back it up nightly to my Project Folder. So that if the main OS drive fails, I have it archived. If the media drive fails, I still have the project file on my main OS drive. Backups are good!

[Jason Watkins] "your DVD is sold out. "

Darn it all. Yay, but drat at the same time.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jason Watkins
on Dec 21, 2011 at 12:43:57 am

great info. Thanks for helping!

Return to posts index

Jason Watkins
on Dec 22, 2011 at 12:06:05 am

Hello Shane, another question for you. FCP automatically creates a directory when importing stills ex: Media/NameOfProject/File. So, when you create a Stills folder, are you copying your stills to that folder on the Finder level and then importing them into FCP?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 22, 2011 at 12:15:16 am

[Jason Watkins] "FCP automatically creates a directory when importing stills ex: Media/NameOfProject/File."

No, it doesn't. FCP makes a clip in the browser that points to where the still exists. It doesn't move anything, or copy anything anywhere. That's a fact that a lot of people don't know, and that's what gets them into trouble. Importing stills, or footage via IMPORT that exist on their desktop, or somewhere else. Then hand the drive and project to someone and...OOP! I don't have the stills or files because they are on your desktop!

Put them where you want them first, THEN import.

[Jason Watkins] "So, when you create a Stills folder, are you copying your stills to that folder on the Finder level and then importing them into FCP?"

YES...exactly.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jason Watkins
on Dec 22, 2011 at 12:32:00 am

Got it, retracing my steps, it made that directory when I "copied" the file using media manager after importing it from the desktop. Putting the file there initially and importing is clean. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]