FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to achieve the matrix-endless white void effect

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Smith
How to achieve the matrix-endless white void effect
on Dec 20, 2011 at 7:22:23 pm

Hi I want to know how to make a endless white void effect in Final cut or color like in the link below

We shoot on a green screen I would just like to know how to change it in FCP or Color or after effects if their is a tutorial on it please send me the link

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to achieve the matrix-endless white void effect
on Dec 20, 2011 at 7:40:46 pm

[Tyler Smith] "Hi I want to know how to make a endless white void effect in Final cut or color like in the link below"

270-degree endless white cyc in a big studio, lots of soft lighting, and a camera with a very nice contrast range.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tyler Smith
on Dec 20, 2011 at 7:42:23 pm

we shoot on green screen

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 20, 2011 at 7:49:53 pm

Well, you wanted to know how they pulled off the effect, yes? That's how.

The problem with green screen: spill on the subjects.
The problem with most cameras (with the exception of RED, Alexa, Ultra-High-End Sony & Panasonic): lousy color resolution, resulting in less than optimal keys.

Are you interested in "close, but people can still tell it's fake" or "dead-solid-perfect"?

And don't forget the Steadicam.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tyler Smith
on Dec 20, 2011 at 8:01:47 pm

We shoot on the red, would that be a problem still?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 20, 2011 at 8:04:53 pm

My answer was going to be with some very f@#$%& expensive equipment.

Not your average job. Most people fake it like Dave said.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 20, 2011 at 8:25:31 pm

Tyler, I do this with green screen from time to time, as well as with white photo paper backdrops. You don't need the green to be very large: just large enough to give some room around the actors, then you use "garbage masks" and matte controls and cropping tools to remove the rest of the original shot and have the new background fill it in.

If you look closely, it's not a perfectly even white in most cases; it deliberately hints at a far-away vanishing point false "horizon" with subtle gradient shading, to imply more depth and to imply a "floor". Otherwise, your full-body characters just look like they are flat pictures stuck onto the front of a white fridge door. Your actors are going to (supposedly) be inside a huge white globe, so you have to light them with large, flat, relatively shadowless, white lighting. Use large softlight boxes. You will want an overhead liht source to throw a little shadow directly under them, but this can also be faked in post, using the same alpha channel mask made by the green screen, just warped and adjusted in blending mode and fill color. It can be very convicing becasue it moves as the actor does, they are two identical tracks locked together.

Step one is grabbing a perfect key in the first place. Step two would be creating the white background in an image editor or however else you like. In Apple motion for example, the library comes with several pre-made white "limbo" backdrops or stages, with more or less of a "horizon" in them. When I make these in Apple Motion, I create a solid plane to replace the floor, and then the gradient backdrop for the "wall". Use a color sampling eyedropper tool to make all the whites match. Use feathered edgs on masks and mattes to help blend the thing together.

Good luck! And remember, "there IS no spoon".

Return to posts index

Tyler Smith
on Dec 29, 2011 at 10:24:58 pm

I already shoot it, I just want to know how to change a green screen background to a white color in final cut or in after effects

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 29, 2011 at 11:56:01 pm

Video>effects>keyers>chromakey.

Use the eyedropper tool to sample the green. Adjust parameters to clean it up.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 29, 2011 at 11:57:31 pm

Video>effects>keyers>chromakey.

Use the eyedropper tool to sample the green. Adjust parameters to clean it up.

Put the green track on video track 2 , your white or other color or background track below it.
Something so fundamental suggests you could really benefit from reading the built in manual. I walks you thru the steps very well.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Dec 20, 2011 at 8:30:12 pm

Demonstration of green screen push-to-white using Conduit:

http://www.dvgarage.com/storage/conduit-samples/conduit2_push2white.mov

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 20, 2011 at 9:03:09 pm

That demo makes me want to buy Conduit!

Return to posts index