FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro codec h264 to avid media composer workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcie Maute
Final Cut Pro codec h264 to avid media composer workflow
on Dec 19, 2011 at 10:26:30 pm

OK I am new to the site but frequently refer to it when I have technical difficulties in post. Here is my issue.
We shot a feature film on the Canon 7D and had a complete educational gap when it came to codecs and compression. We did NOT compress the footage from its original h264 codec. We edited the entire film in final cut pro in this codec. I now know this is bad but unless I HAVE to, I do not want to compress the original footage and start post from scratch.
So the film has been edited and is in picture lock. Color correction through FCP Color has been done, and now I would like to render out the sequence in order to import it into Avid Media Composer 6 so that I can utilize the paint and motion tracking tools.
I know that Avid accepts the codec h264 so what is the best way to export a sequence from FCP so that I do not loose HD quality and can import it into Avid.

*Ps I know about automatic duck, but I do not need my sequence to have cuts in it, it is ok if it is one solid clip. plus its way too much money ;p

any help would be appreciated, like I said before, I am a new member so please do not rip on me if this has already been discussed. thanks!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut Pro codec h264 to avid media composer workflow
on Dec 19, 2011 at 10:56:51 pm

[Marcie Maute] "I know that Avid accepts the codec h264 so what is the best way to export a sequence from FCP so that I do not loose HD quality and can import it into Avid. "

Sorry, but COLOR does not render out H.264 files. I'm amazed that it even accepted them. I wonder if you will have issues when you render that out. Color renders out ProRes, or as a DPX sequence. So really, you are going to have to render it out of Color as ProRes...send to FCP. Export a self contained QT file as ProRes 422 or HQ (whatever you render out of Color as) and then import that into Avid MC.

HOW? MC6 will allow you to AMA the clip and then work with the file, or convert it to ProRes MXF (zero quality loss, just making from QT into MXF...changing the wrapper).

Where are you going from there? After all this Paint and Motion tracking?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marcie Maute
on Dec 19, 2011 at 11:25:14 pm

Shane, thanks for your response. Color accepted and rendered it out just fine. The color corrected version is now sitting in FCP waiting for me to export it and import it into AMC. I rendered it out of Color as proRes 422 HQ - so you said its no longer h264. If thats the case, why in the world would anyone convert all of their footage before putting it into FCP if you could just export it out of final cut in the desired codec?

Is ProRes 422 HQ the highest quality I can get out of my footage? I shot in blurray so obviously I want to have my final product at the highest quality possible. Since I lost quality going from h264 to prores 422 hq- can I get that quality back in the end?

And to answer you're question of where we are going after making our stop in Avid for paint and motion tracking, I am, again, having an educational gap. At that point, all video will be done, so we will need to get the video and audio together in order to finalize the film.

again, thanks for your help!
Marcie

Return to posts index

Amir Abed
on Dec 20, 2011 at 2:03:09 am

"why in the world would anyone convert all of their footage before putting it into FCP if you could just export it out of final cut in the desired codec?"

Because H.264 is not an editing codec. Most of the time you will run into editing problems. You were lucky that you didn't run into any issue while editing.

"Since I lost quality going from h264 to prores 422 hq- can I get that quality back in the end?"

You didn't lose any quality. Also you shot in H.264 not Bluray

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 20, 2011 at 2:04:28 am

[Marcie Maute] "If thats the case, why in the world would anyone convert all of their footage before putting it into FCP if you could just export it out of final cut in the desired codec? "

Because H.264 is a bear to edit. Highly compressed...takes a powerful machine. I'm sure you saw the lagginess it can cause. Converting to ProRes allows for editing to go smoother. And sending ProRes to Color, and rendering back to ProRes is pretty much lossless.

[Marcie Maute] "Is ProRes 422 HQ the highest quality I can get out of my footage? "

Yes.

[Marcie Maute] " I shot in blurray so obviously I want to have my final product at the highest quality possible."

What? No, you shot with a DSLR. If BluRay is your final goal, ProRes is a good option. GREAT option.

[Marcie Maute] " Since I lost quality going from h264 to prores 422 hq- can I get that quality back in the end?"

Did you? You are assuming that. And no, you have not. ProRes422, and ProRes HQ are high res finishing codecs. Full quality. No quality was lost in converting. Well, very minimal was. Nothing you'd possibly notice, especially after compressing yet AGAIN for BluRay.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Marcie Maute
on Dec 20, 2011 at 2:34:22 am

Thanks for your help guys.
I think I understand the codec converting process and what I should have done verses what I did do.
I am lucky that I didn't run into many problems, I have been researching a lot more now that I am a member on this forum. Besides the constant rendering and space being used, I didn't run into anything fatal.
I guess I mis-spoke when I said Blu Ray, I meant HD 1080. I just wanted to ensure that I didn't affect the overall product by converting it.
Its good to know that I didn't loose much quality converting to pro res 422 hq and that I can now remain in this codec for the rest of my post production adventures.

Thanks for your help!!!

-Marcie

ps any recommendations for finalizing the process after I go into Avid to add the finishing touches?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 20, 2011 at 6:17:33 am

[Marcie Maute] "I guess I mis-spoke when I said Blu Ray, I meant HD 1080."

What does that mean? "HD 1080." That means nothing. Digital file? H.264? Full quality ProRes? For output to what? For viewing on what?

[Marcie Maute] "ps any recommendations for finalizing the process after I go into Avid to add the finishing touches?"

Finalizing for WHAT? Need to know what your final end product will be.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Marcie Maute
on Dec 21, 2011 at 12:43:57 am

Shane,

We shot 1080p, are editing in 1080i, and would like to get our finalized product back to 1080p. We have a showing scheduled in a theater and would like to show a bluray copy of the film but also need to have a nonbluray copy for film festivals that we are entering.
At this point I have gone from h264 to pro res 422 hq and am linking ama files in order to finish the cut in avid. I am unsure how to restore the resolution of the film once we are ready to export from avid.

You said that 422 hq is a great choice if my final product is bluray and that barely anything was lost when converted from h264- which is great to hear. Can I ask how to get my film from being linked ama in avid at pro res 422 hq to bluray status?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 21, 2011 at 12:56:49 am

[Marcie Maute] "We shot 1080p, are editing in 1080i, and would like to get our finalized product back to 1080p"

Why did you edit in 1080i? Use a 1080p sequence. At least go into the sequence settings and set FIELD DOMINANCE to "NONE."

[Marcie Maute] "I am unsure how to restore the resolution of the film once we are ready to export from avid. "

Restore? Restore to what? You lost me. You converted H.264 to ProRes HQ...that's a FULL resolution codec. You edited with that full resolution codec. You export that full resolution codec out as a single file. You import that full resolution codec to Avid for tweaking. You then export from Avid...hopefully as full or high resolution (don't know if you transcode to ProRes MXF or just work with the AMA file...that's up to you). Export a ProRes HQ Quicktime...that's full resolution.

So what is this RESTORE that you are talking about?

[Marcie Maute] "Can I ask how to get my film from being linked ama in avid at pro res 422 hq to bluray status? "

Well, having never authored a BluRay disk...I know that you export the QT file out of Avid, as ProRes HQ. And then bring that into BluRay authoring software. Toast 10, Adobe Encore...whatever you want to use to make a bluray disk.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]