FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMac, Lion, & Final Cut 7 - Playback Sync Issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Shive
iMac, Lion, & Final Cut 7 - Playback Sync Issue
on Dec 19, 2011 at 9:38:18 pm

I'm curious if anyone else out there is experiencing any latency issues during playback when using a new iMac (3.4 i7 w/8GB RAM), Lion (10.7.2), and FC Pro 7.0.3?

We have several of these brand new iMacs (clean install of Lion & FCS3) and have been able to reproduce the following problem on all of them. General editing is snappy but when the timeline is rendered playback of the video is initially out of sync with the audio. Stopping playback and restarting it (hitting the space bar twice) fixes the sync. It doesn't happen all the time but frequently enough that it is becoming annoying to edit with these machines. We have more than 10 Mac Pros and have never experienced this issue before.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: iMac, Lion, & Final Cut 7 - Playback Sync Issue
on Dec 19, 2011 at 11:13:08 pm

Hard drive issue. Make sure you are not playing back on your system drive. Make sure you are playing back on an external FW 800 drive.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Michael Shive
on Dec 19, 2011 at 11:41:05 pm

I'm almost positive our storage is not the problem. I should've mentioned it before - we have a SanMP solution using Promise SANLink's that connect through Thunderbolt to our fibre network. Our storage is RAID 5 based and we get read/write speeds of over 250/mb sec. I've run several tests on the bandwidth and read/write speeds and saw nothing that would indicate this would be the issue.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 19, 2011 at 11:51:44 pm

Hit control U to reset all your windows.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Michael Shive
on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:02:52 am

CTRL-U resets to the standard window layout and has no effect on result.

Return to posts index

Matt Wainwright
on Dec 24, 2011 at 1:59:07 pm

I get exactly the same issue on my MBP17 with Lion. Stop and start resolves but it is irritating and never happened on my cheap white plastic computer. Would love to know a fix.

Return to posts index

Michael Shive
on Dec 24, 2011 at 7:50:39 pm

We seem to have isolated the issue down to mainly (possibly only) occurring when we render. If you just edit without rendering the sync issue does not seem to happen. However, most of the time when we render and then playback there is initially a sync issue.

Matt - do you see the same thing on your MBP?

Return to posts index

Matt Wainwright
on Dec 26, 2011 at 11:44:35 am

I think you're right about it only happening after I've rendered.

Return to posts index

Nathan Lee
on Jan 25, 2012 at 12:17:21 am

This happens to me as well and it has been driving me crazy! It is either after rendering or if I switch to another program and then back to FCP.

It seems to be some sort of an issue with Lion but it could be the machine itself. I have a iMac with a 3.4ghz i7 and 12GB of RAM. I am running OSX 10.7.2

Any solutions yet?

Return to posts index

Scott Fields
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:41:16 pm

Same issue here. I have FCP on the system drive (SSD) and media on an external FW800 G-Raid.

I even tried putting media on the internal SSD as well as an external SSD but it keeps happening so I'm fairly certain it's not a drive issue.

Has anyone tried installing 10.6.8 on the new 3.4ghz iMac to see if that solves the problem, because right now, it's unpleasant enough that I don't use it.

Return to posts index

Kiko Matsing
on Mar 27, 2012 at 9:58:36 am

Hi, is the video compression of the timeline settings the same with the footages' codec on your edit?

Try deleting all inside the audio renders and video rendered folder. Then render the timeline again. That will create a new set of rendered files that is going to be read when you playback.

Return to posts index

Matt Wainwright
on Mar 27, 2012 at 2:52:27 pm

It also happens when timeline and media are in the same codec, yes. And on multicam playback too.

Return to posts index

Kiko Matsing
on Mar 28, 2012 at 4:33:06 am

I have also experienced this using MacPro and iMac, different timeline compression setting and different video footage codec. I noticed that even i change already my edit, then render it, seems FCP is still reading the old rendered audio and video files on the scratch disk. By deleting them and rendering all again, it alway solve my problem with the syncing. But i have to make sure i deleted everything including my misplaced audio and video renders on other scratch disk. (sometimes i forget changing my scratch disk with other projects) You can try if it works with you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]