FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't add a Cross Dissolve Transition if one clip has a speed change?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Ainscough
Can't add a Cross Dissolve Transition if one clip has a speed change?
on Dec 19, 2011 at 3:11:48 am

I'm trying to add a basic Cross Dissolve transation to two clips but keeping get the error:

There was insufficient media for the request transition at one or more edit points. Would you like to accept ther others?

I have plenty of media on either clip and I've done plenty of Cross Dissolves before, the only difference here is that the outgoing clip has a speed change applied to it of 250%.

Sorta confused why I'm getting this error? Clip A duration is 2 seconds 6 frames, Clip B duration is 5 seconds 6 frames, the cross disolve is 22 frames duration. Not sure what is going on?? Project is Apple Pro Res HQ ... both clips 1080p 30 fps.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rob.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Can't add a Cross Dissolve Transition if one clip has a speed change?
on Dec 19, 2011 at 7:33:07 am

HANDLES. Do you have enough HANDLES on the clip with the speed change? Mind you the speed change carries over into that dissolve, so if it is 11 frames, 250% is like 28 frames.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rob Ainscough
on Dec 19, 2011 at 4:45:27 pm

Yeah, it looks like I'll have to make a "Freeze Frame" in order to provide enough "handles" for the transition. I keep forgetting that if my Clip In/Out points are at the very end of the source clip FCP will toss out this error.

I really hate the way FCP 7 "handles" this ... no pun intended. Rather than toss out the error it should just either generate the freeze frames needed for the transition or move back/forward in the clips as needed and do the transition. But just tossing out an error and moving the transition to the start of the clip is never EVER something an editor would want. Or at the very least make this a Preference options somewhere. Grrrr.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:52:05 pm

[Rob Ainscough] " Rather than toss out the error it should just either generate the freeze frames needed for the transition or move back/forward in the clips as needed and do the transition"

GOOD GOD NO! Why? I don't want a freeze frame in the transition. That means that for that split second, or less, in the middle of the transition, my footage is frozen. You will see that, and it will not look right. It isn't what I want, so I don't want FCP to do it.

As for shifting the IN point...again, GOOD GOD NO! I work in broadcast, and we are required to deliver shows with very strict timing. If FCP did what iMovie does and shift the clip in order to make the dissolve work, that would change my timings. It would shift the entire sequence. Do it lots, and wow!

No, professional NLE's require that you plan for this dissolve...give yourself enough handles. Avid, FCP, Premiere...they all work this way. iMovie does what you want, but that isn't a pro NLE.

[Rob Ainscough] "But just tossing out an error and moving the transition to the start of the clip is never EVER something an editor would want."

The error is telling you that you are making a mistake, and you need to adjust for that mistake. And that is something every professional editor would want.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Rob Ainscough
on Dec 19, 2011 at 6:50:53 pm

Shane,

If there are no handles (aka media) I have no choice, I can't go back and get it re-shot with enough "handles" so that my transition is covered ... just not going to happen.

If you have some other way to make it work, please let me know. On very short transitions a freeze is rarely that obvious, but like I said if you have some method other than asking for a longer clip, then please do fill me in.

My suggestion was to make freeze or move back in clip or just show warning as a option in Preferences ... pick what you prefer to happen, I try NOT to speak for everyone as neither you or I really know what "everyone" does. So give them options to meet how they like to flow.

Rob.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Dec 21, 2011 at 5:32:07 am

[Rob Ainscough] "My suggestion was to make freeze or move back in clip or just show warning as a option in Preferences ... pick what you prefer to happen"

Like Shane said "GOOD GOD NO!".
Who in the world would want a freeze in the middle of a dissolve?
Or have the app start moving around my in/out points? IMO This would rate about the same as auto-iris or the 'magnetic timeline'. Why let the software or hardware make all the creative decisions??? The editor is there for more than just turning on the power.

[Rob Ainscough] "I try NOT to speak for everyone as neither you or I really know what "everyone" does. So give them options to meet how they like to flow."

Hey throttle back the pretentiousness. If there's a handful of editors on the Cow that 'knows how it is', and whose opinion carries some weight as far as professional editing is concerned, Shane would make that list every time.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Rob Ainscough
on Dec 21, 2011 at 5:41:29 pm

Freeze in the middle of a dissolve? You lost me, there are no additional handles and there is no way to not do it like this, like I said, I can't go back and get more footage, just not an option. And the freeze would actually work fine in this case, it's just someone looking into the camera after completing their presentation ... basically static image anyway. It actually works reasonably well give the situation.

So rather than keeping saying the same "GOOD GOD NO", how about giving me some constructive alternatives to a freeze?

But clearly you haven't read what I said, so I'll repeat ... make these OPTIONS via FCP Preferences on how to deal with "not enough handles".

I think Shane is making some bad assumptions of how "Everyone" flows -- I don't see how I'm being pretentious just because I don't make that assumption ... seems to me you have that backwards. Or are you suggesting you can't correct/disagree with someone because of their experience?

Anyway, I'm willing to listen but no one is saying anything or presenting an alternative?

Rob

Return to posts index

Mac McDougal
on Jul 19, 2012 at 6:31:47 pm

Hi All,

When FCP 7 shakes its finger at me saying I don't have enough media to make the transition between two clips with identical properties, shot on the same shoot with the same camera, each of which is more than two minutes long, somehow, I don't think this is user error. If members of this Forum don't know a workaround for this obvious design flaw, then why not say so? We're not in class here--at least, I'm not. I'm trying to solve a problem that is killing my productivity. Due to this "insufficient media" issue, I'm having to have to use Motion to do manual "dip to color" ersatz dissolves. What a pain.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 19, 2012 at 7:45:15 pm

[Mac McDougal] "When FCP 7 shakes its finger at me saying I don't have enough media to make the transition between two clips with identical properties, shot on the same shoot with the same camera, each of which is more than two minutes long, somehow, I don't think this is user error."

That's called HANDLES. It doesn't matter how long the clip is, if you don't have enough HANDLE before the in point to allow for a 15 frame or longer dissolve, FCP will tell you. So yes, that is absolutely "user error."

If you come from iMovie, that will slip the shot's in point to make the dissolve work, I can see why you are frustrated with this. But in doing that, iMovie changes the show timing, and in the broadcast world, strict adherence to show timing is essential. If FCX slips the timing like iMovie does, that's a serious problem. But I don't think it does that.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 19, 2012 at 10:15:08 pm

[Shane Ross] " If FCX slips the timing like iMovie does, that's a serious problem. But I don't think it does that."

Up until 10.0.3 there was a toggle in preferences. Either "Full Overlap" or "Available Media". Now it's just automatically available media. I swear there was also a period of time when if you tried to add a transition but didn't have enough handles, it would ask if you wanted to use full overlap.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]