FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting many clips to compressor fails - but only on multi-core cluster

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Wilson
Exporting many clips to compressor fails - but only on multi-core cluster
on Dec 18, 2011 at 1:01:32 pm

I have about 200 clips that need to run through compressor. If I select all the clips in the browser, a then choose SEND TO COMPRESSOR it gets the clips into compressor just fine. But when I go to submit the job and choose my cluster (set up as a quick-cluster in os 10.5.8), then the job fails.

If I submit just using "My Computer" the job will run but I'm looking at a day and a half!

submitting to the quick-cluster forces FCP to open and it's almost like the computer is trying to open FCP in each cluster which it can't do.

I've always had this problem and my workaround has been to export a stand-alone QT file and then import that into compressor but now that I have 200 clips, sorting them in the finder or exporting one a time just isn't that feasible.

Any other ideas....

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Exporting many clips to compressor fails - but only on multi-core cluster
on Dec 18, 2011 at 5:15:08 pm

Export QuiTime Movie then drop your clips into Compressor. Get used to that workflow. Do Not use Export Using Compressor or QuickTime Conversion.

[Andrew Wilson] "I've always had this problem and my workaround has been to export a stand-alone QT file and then import that into compressor but now that I have 200 clips, sorting them in the finder or exporting one a time just isn't that feasible."

You can sort by date to make things easier.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Dec 18, 2011 at 5:20:49 pm

Great suggestion... but I thought of that. Problem is they only want the interview clips converted - not the b-roll or the scripted sound-bytes that are all scattered through the shooting day.

I'm thinking it would have been faster to convert everything and just delete the other stuff later. ;)

So there's no batch export out of FCP? I have all the clips labeled in the Logging Notes so sorting them that way was easy.

Andrew Wilson

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 18, 2011 at 5:31:02 pm

Having an organized workflow is key. It may take a little more time in the front end, but will save you tons of time in the edit process.

I would create a sequence and take your time and find all your interviews and place them there.

There is a batch export in FCP. Select the sequences in your browser and select batch export.

[Andrew Wilson] "I'm thinking it would have been faster to convert everything and just delete the other stuff later. ;)"
Not the quickest workflow. In fact, it's much slower. Bad habits are hard to break in editing.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Dec 18, 2011 at 5:53:25 pm

[Steve Eisen] "I would create a sequence and take your time and find all your interviews and place them there."

Can't do that. They want separate clips.

BUT I just did a little test with batch export and it seems like that would work. Funny... I remember batch export being wonky in the past - maybe I haven't tried it since version 6 ;)

Thanks!

Andrew Wilson

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 18, 2011 at 11:33:19 pm

[Andrew Wilson] "Can't do that. They want separate clips."
Set in/out points on each clip (X) and export each clip (command E). Time consuming but if it's what they want, you give it to them.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Dec 19, 2011 at 12:33:54 pm

Virtual clusters don't work with the "send to Compressor" option:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1099

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>