FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 24fps animated PNG sequence into 30p

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane O'Brien
Converting 24fps animated PNG sequence into 30p
on Dec 17, 2011 at 10:13:02 pm

Hi there,

I am in the process of producing and editing a 20 minute corporate video. The video footage was shot at 30p on an EX1. I'm editing it in FCP 7 (at 30p) and it will be used online, as a DVD and for presentations and conferences (in HD).

I had an animator create a 1:30 animation to show how the device works (it's a flow battery). The animation itself looks great.

I expected that he would deliver it at 30fps (that was the brief), but it turns out he created it at 24fps. I only realized this when I inserted the PNG sequence into the timeline and the audio did not sync up with it (I imported it into the timeline as one image per frame).

I am wondering what the best solution is. How should I convert it to 30p so that it looks good? Or do I need to get the animator to sort this out? I don't want to spend too much of my time fixing it myself, and obviously don't want an inferior end result.

I realize there are lots of threads on here about converting 24p to 30p - however, I expect my situation may be a bit different as I have a PNG sequence designed to be played at 24fps - rather than video footage shot at 24p.

I have little expertise in frame rates or video conversion, so your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Shane

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Converting 24fps animated PNG sequence into 30p
on Dec 17, 2011 at 10:39:16 pm

It will probably look fine.
Open the sequence up in QT7 and export a mov file to match your sequence.
Drop it in and see how it looks.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Dec 18, 2011 at 1:04:37 pm

Just ask the animator to re-render at 29.97.
For him it is just switching the timebase and putting it to work.

Otherwise, use any package that can add pulldown (AE can do this)
Make sure you use normal pulldown, NOT advanced.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 18, 2011 at 9:38:28 pm

I'm with Bouke: the animator didn't deliver to your specs. Have it re-done at 29.97.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane O'Brien
on Dec 19, 2011 at 3:39:53 am

Thanks Bouke, Dave and Chris. Much appreciated.

I have asked the animator to just re-render it, as you suggest. Am I right in assuming that any of the other options (converting in QT or AE) won't be the same as getting the sequence at the correct frame rate?

Fingers-crossed, he will get it done. Obviously, it's his responsibility to fix - but unfortunately he has already been paid and is a freelancer with only one machine, so I expect he'll be reluctant to tie it up with re-rendering.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Dec 19, 2011 at 3:53:46 am

Don't worry.
If he's a freelancer, he wants to deliver good work and keep clients satisfied.
And for the time, if it is really highly complicated, it will take a night to render. So he'll set it up and go to bed, it will be done in the morning. Not much to loose for him there...

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]