FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 audio playback issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Weinberg
FCP7 audio playback issue
on Dec 17, 2011 at 9:58:07 pm

i'm working in a sequence in FCP7with 2 video tracks and 6 audio tracks (3 stereo pairs). for about 15min of this 45min sequence, i can not play all 6 audio tracks together - it cuts in and out, as though i'm hearing 5 frames of audio and then 5 frames of silence repeatedly. this happens continually at the same in and out points in the sequence.

none of the media files themselves seem to have issues; if i solo any of the stereo pairs they play back fine, and i only experience problems when playing the 6 tracks simultaneously. likewise, the problem seems to be in the sequence or project file.

i have tried duplicating the sequence, issue persists. does anyone have any recommendations for troubleshooting this? not sure what other pertinent information might be necessary to help diagnose the problem.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP7 audio playback issue
on Dec 17, 2011 at 10:01:33 pm

[Adam Weinberg] "i have tried duplicating the sequence, issue persists. does anyone have any recommendations for troubleshooting this? not sure what other pertinent information might be necessary to help diagnose the problem."

Have you tried trashing preferences yet?

What is the codec you're editing? (hopefully no MP4, h.264, etc.)

Are you sure all audio is 16-bit aiff? (No wav files, MP3 files, etc.)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Adam Weinberg
on Dec 17, 2011 at 11:03:40 pm

WAV files are problematic? i've never had any problems cutting with the WAV files output by my Zoom H4N. but yes, the problems are with the WAV files, not the other audio tracks.

i'm cutting with ProRes LT video and those WAV files.

now my problem is .. i've already cut plenty using these WAV files .. i assume i can't convert them to AIFF and reconnect?

have not yet tried trashing FCP prefs which i hate doing and always do as a last resort ..

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 18, 2011 at 12:34:34 am

[Adam Weinberg] "WAV files are problematic? i've never had any problems cutting with the WAV files output by my Zoom H4N. but yes, the problems are with the WAV files, not the other audio tracks.
"

Sometimes these unexplained issues do crop up with wav files, while aiff never has the same problems. Aiff is the native audio file format of FCP, so that does have some bearing.

You can try to force a new audio render and mix by using Render Only>Mixdown, which may or may not work.

[Adam Weinberg] "have not yet tried trashing FCP prefs which i hate doing and always do as a last resort .."

If you install Preference Manager from DigitalRebellion.com and get in the habit of using it, you will no longer hate trashing preferences. Personally, I love trashing prefs, as I would rather have FCP work as it's supposed to, which even a minor corruption of its preferences often screws-up.

[Adam Weinberg] "now my problem is .. i've already cut plenty using these WAV files .. i assume i can't convert them to AIFF and reconnect?"

Try all the above first, then if you're still having issues try relinking to an aiff with one file and see what ya get.

Hope this helps...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Adam Weinberg
on Dec 18, 2011 at 10:58:36 pm

thanks so much for your help. have not yet had a chance to troubleshoot (under tight deadline!) but very much appreciate!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]