FORUMS: list search recent posts

Running FCP 5 with FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles M Clemmons
Running FCP 5 with FCPX
on Dec 17, 2011 at 3:39:31 pm

Currently, I am running FCP 5.0.4 on a PowerPC G4, OSX 10.4.11, soon to be upgraded to OSX 10.5.6. Within the next year, I plan to upgrade to an iMAC or MAC Pro and FCPX. Since FCPX won't run the old FCP projects, I'm trying to figure out a way to continue editing the old FCP projects, while starting new projects on FCPX. It would make sense to be able to keep the G4 HDD and physically transfer it to an MAC Pro bay or clone it to an external drive to run with the iMAC. Would I be able to boot to the old drive (or clone)and run the FCP 5 when I need to work on the old projects and then boot to the FCPX when I work on projects going forward?

If I go with the iMAC, it has only one FW-800 port. My FCP data files are stored and backed up on G-TECH external drives. That means I would need to use a USB 2.0 port to connect to one of the external drives (e.g., the FCP 5 HDD) and the FW-800 connection for the other (e.g., data drive). Would there be a significant difference between using the USB port for one purpose or the other?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Running FCP 5 with FCPX
on Dec 17, 2011 at 4:12:50 pm

If I were you, I would keep both systems separate. Edit your old projects with the G4 and any new projects on the new system.

FYI, NEVER use usb drives as a scratch disc. Possible as a boot drive. It's possible to modify the iMac to include an eSATA port. OWC makes that option.

Used or refurbished Mac Pro/iMacs are an option.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Charles M Clemmons
Re: Running FCP 5 with FCPX
on Dec 18, 2011 at 1:54:15 pm

Thanks, Steve. That seems to be the simplest option. I would just have to make space for the G4 among the two PCs I still keep for the same reason. The more the merrier.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]